Ascent To Altitude From Santa Rosa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But I believe that GF99 is computed against the barometric pressure which is registered at the beginning of the dive.
A recent observation: my Teric continually updates the pressure after a dive, using the minimum seen over the most recent few minutes. I've watched my tissue graph grow as I drive up the mountain. I'm not sure if I'm sad or happy that I've not seen the graph grow enough to exceed ambient (GF99 of 0%). Fast tissues dominating and slow packing I guess.

A recent observation: my Teric continually updates the pressure after a dive, using the minimum seen over the most recent few minutes. I've watched my tissue graph grow as I drive up the mountain. I'm not sure if I'm sad or happy that I've not seen the graph grow enough to exceed ambient (GF99 of 0%). Fast tissues dominating and slow packing I guess.

We have done a few dives at Jefferson Lake over the last two summers. My buddy that drives up from Colorado Springs usually has a GF99 of around 30% on arrival at the lake. I'm usually in the 5% range going up from the Denver area.

I dove with my daughter in santa rosa this last weekend. We live in ABQ so acclimation was not an issue. To be safe after the last dive of the day we took our time putting stuff away and then ate in town, so we had a surface time of roughly two hours before starting the drive home.

Back in the day the shop owner of Giant Stride Scuba use to tell me to be in grop C on the SSI dopler table before leavang Santa Rosa and coming home to Aurora CO.

I heard that every day from early morning until 11am is diver only time, no swimmers cliff divers allowed. Does anyone know if this is true? I dived it on a very busy Friday and the vis was very poor until we got the very bottom. I would like to avoid that next time around.
That’s not true unless it was implemented recently. Santa Rosa views divers as a revenue source to be milked mercilessly. They don’t do much of anything for the benefit of divers. They even block off parking near the water so they can hold car shows and concerts.

When I left Santa Rosa, my Shearwater displayed my GF99 (Leading Supersaturation) at 29% theoretical maximum with with probably the 5th slowest compartment leading. Upon cresting the hill just past Las Vegas, NM on I-25 it displayed GF99=16% with the 3rd slowest compartment leading.
I did an analysis of the Navy Time To Fly table, computing the GF99 at an 8000k ft altitude (max standard flight altitude) immediately following each of the dives listed at sea level. While there was some minor variation, the average GF99(8000 ft) was 13.5%.

Unfortunately, the Navy table doesn't provide any guidelines for lower altitudes, but I personally believe that using 13.5% would be on the conservative side at lower altitudes. After all, we feel a GF99 of 60-70% is relatively safe at 4600 ft when exiting the water. Hitting "teens" when driving through Las Vegas (without the benefit of O2) is probably a good excuse for a green chile cheeseburger at The Skillet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom