• Descend Horizontal/In Trim

Votes: 122 67.8%
  • *OTHER*

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • Other?

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

get off the computer and dive you will soon answer your own question and if you still have questions take a class from a qualified instructor . if you are asking this question then you missed it the frist time around

In current, I normally ascend and descend horizontally while holding on to the line. That way my position is more aerodynamic and it is easier to hold down. From the safety stop up...especially in open water I will tend to be vertical looking up with one hand up...the good old fashion way.

As I said, normally which does not mean that I always do so. Depending on conditions and what we are trying to achieve, I will adapt accordingly. If the group I am diving with is conducting hot drops, I will oblige and will ensure my buddy and I jump together and stay together.

In open water, the advantage of descending in an horizontal trim is that I am already in a position that allows manoeuvring in the direction I need to and do so right from the start, especially in current while allowing me to see where I am going

I like to start my descent from a vertical position, and convert to horizontal about 3 feet underwater. Then the rest of the descent is done horizontal, because that way, I can see the bottom before I hit it. If I were diving in Cozumel and could see the bottom from the boat, I'd descend any old which way pleased me, as long as I stayed with my buddies doing it.

I ascend in a horizontal position because I think it works best in a dry suit. If you do a vertical ascent in a dry suit, you have to swim up, because as a practical matter, you cannot maintain gas in the suit to stay neutral. In addition, if the team is all horizontal, it's easy to reach anyone who is having any kind of issue (same for descents, actually). If I am in an area where surface hazards are a possibility, then the last ten feet, I will transition to vertical with my arm up.

All ascent and descents are executed in a horizontal position. The only feet down descent happen in very low vis. Horizontal body position dramatically improve buoyancy effort and control.

I start feet first because I have problems equalizing, it allows me to go slow and get back up a bit if need be. I ascend horizontally though.

Body position depends on the dive. In OW, usually horizontal. In a cave, which ever way the cave dictates. On a deco dive hanging from a lift bag, usually horizontal and belly up as I hang there and relax. On most dives I only use the descent/ascent line for a reference unless the current is too strong to maintain visual contact or if the viz is close to zero.

Divers need to pick what works for the dive, not be locked into some "ya gotta do it this way" non-thinking mind-trap.

I think that was a febel atempt at a houmorous PADI bashing joke. He left off the :D

I do about as much free diving as I do SCUBA and my technique is the same for both. Jack knife at the surface, swim down to my target depth, swim around, then swim back up to the surface at the end of the dive.

I think that was a febel atempt at a houmorous PADI bashing joke. He left off the :D

With Dumpster Diver, you never know.

According to this poll, about 3 - 5% of us are smart alecs. :)

Back
Top Bottom