As if you needed a reason to go diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smellzlikefish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just got back from Lanai Lookout and it was flat flat FLAT! The whale song was unavoidably loud and as we drove home, Hanauma Bay and surrounding waters looked like a swimming pool. When was the last time you looked toward Molokai and didn't see whitecaps?

If the conditions aren't enough to convince you, there was that white shark/mako spotted outside of Yokohama Bay that just blew up Youtube. Tis the season!

Maybe you're not ready to come face to face with a white shark, it also happens to be whale shark season. I just ran into one with Kona Diving Company last weekend, just after watching a hammerhead glance by in the distance. Then on the way back to the harbor, we ran into a whole school of hammerheads at the surface!

And then there is the wacky stuff that has been hanging around like the sailfish that swam past me on a shore dive a week and a half ago and the threadfin ulua at Honaunau.

Maybe I'm just bragging about how awesome of a month it has been, but please use your jealous rage as motivation to stop reading this and go diving! Just to fuel the fire, here are some pictures:

Moriarty 2 copy.jpg
Rhyncodon typus mouth small copy.jpg
Sphyrna lewinni Matterhorn small copy.jpg
Manta alfredi 3 small copy.jpg
Marlin 6 small.jpg

Sorry for the colors on the sailfish, it was the best I could do with Photoshop. Now get wet!

Not to hijack your thread or anything (but in keeping with the spirit)... but I just found the following post on Facebook from Aaron's Dive Shop:

[h=6]And it finally happened! I got to scuba dive with whales today! I can't shut up and I can't stop glowing about it. Two whales, a baby and it's mother directly below me at the Corsair. I was just finishing my safety stop. I dove back down to 30ft and they cruised past at 90ft. The sound shook my insides. And that's why we start our ascent with 1000psi. Just in case something really neat comes by while you're coming up :)[/h]
Fun, huh? I called over to IDH and got on the boat for tomorrow morning. Probably won't be a whale anywhere around the bay, now. :depressed:

I was just at Corsair today and the water was mushier than I figured it should be based on the models I look at. No whales, but I did find a very friendly stingray being followed by an ulua and two kahala. I've seen more whales (6) than stingrays (3), and almost as many whale sharks (2).

Did you get a photo or better yet a video with sound?

Nada. The current was dragging the mooring down to ~40', so I didn't want any more stuff to drag me back. I've shot the Corsair any times and besides, with a current like that, I didn't think I'd have the opportunity to take any good shots so I left the camera on board. That was stupid!

I do have video of the whaleshark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom