Aruba dive trip report - Sept 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Para Goon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I recently returned from a week of diving in Aruba. I thouroughly scanned SB for anything about diving in Aruba and dive operators. I would like to share our experience (a.k.a. trip report).

Upon arrival, I had 80 dives upon, and my wife had 35. We stayed at the Marriott Beach Club resort, and purchased the five day unlimited dive package from Unique Sports of Aruba. We had a terrific experience with Unique Sports of Aruba, and would definitely use them again when we go back. We had great dive masters and great experiences diving with them. Our favorite was Joey Dale, but all of the dive masters and boat captains were great. We were picked up at the dock where they pick up the tanks. Which was only about a five minute walk from our room. We were able to store our gear in the dive lockers in the dive shack where they store the tanks. This allowed us to be the first on the boat in the morning; which was great. Our initial plan was to check out another dive shop on the sixth day, but decided to stay with Unique by uprading to the six day unlimited dive package. We both made eighteen dives each during this trip.

The water was warm, the visibilty was good, and there were no crowds. Throughout the week the vis ranged from 25' to 75'. Which is great when compared to our cold water diving here in Oregon & Washington. We did a variety of dives from wreck diving to drift diving the reefs on the south coast. Averaging three dives a day with one day consisting of four dives which included an awesome night dive on the Antilla. Since this was the end of the off-season, the most divers on the Newton dive boat were ten. Most of the time there were six or less divers on the boat. We got to see a lot of different aquatic life. Such as French Angels, turtles, moray eels, baracuda, gobis, bootle fish, parrot fish, frog fish, lion fish, butterfly fish...and many more that I don't know the names of yet. I've got the video and will be looking them up. All in all, September was a pretty good time to visit Aruba.

I'm also looking for contact information for divers Bill or Joe, from Nebraska. They were on most of the dives we did. I placed their contact information in my wifes logbook, but she has misplaced her logbook. I have some pictures and video to share with them. So, if you know any divers in Nebraska with the name of Bill or Joe, and they were in Aruba in September 2010, please pass the word that I'm looking for them, and to check out this posting. Bill also works in the Healthcare industry.

Next dive vacation locale is Bonaire next September!

Blue skies and clear vis,
James.

Last edited:
Did you dive the airplane wrecks, those were kind of cool? Glad you had fun.

Yes, we did a couple of dives on the Sonesta and what's left of the planes at the Arashi site. The Convair 400, Jane Sea, and Antilla were very cool. I hope to do more wreck dives. Especially on the US east coast and the Philippines.

Yes, we did a couple of dives on the Sonesta and what's left of the planes at the Arashi site. The Convair 400, Jane Sea, and Antilla were very cool. I hope to do more wreck dives. Especially on the US east coast and the Philippines.

I am headed back to Aruba Octobar 30th for 3 weeks. I have been diving with Unique for about 10 years now. Glad to hear they are still up to par.

I even like some of the shallower wreck dives they have.

Anyone headed down during this time????

Dave, I'll be down from the 29th until the 5th. Staying at the Marriot. Look for bald fat guy.:) Haven't made my dive reservations yet and was thinking of Diversity. Any thoughts?
Neil

Dave, I'll be down from the 29th until the 5th. Staying at the Marriot. Look for bald fat guy.:) Haven't made my dive reservations yet and was thinking of Diversity. Any thoughts?
Neil

We are staying 3 weeks. Last week will be at the Marriot (Nov 13th to Nov 20th) We are at the Carribean Palm Village in Noord Oct 30th to November 13th.

I have always used Unique Water Sports for over 10 years and like them very much. They will pick you up at the Marriot. The are located at the Raddison on the beach.

I am 6' 2" old fart, grey mustach and goatee. :D:D Dave

Aruba diving is not good right now. We dove the Pedernales wreck yesterday. Huricane/Tropical storm Tomas has everthing stirred up. Visibility was maybe 6-8 feet at the best. Reminded me of diving in a midwest lake, you could not see the person in front of you. The only good thing is the water temp is 82 degrees. I hope this all settles out and I can get some nice dives in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom