Artificial Reefs in Texas - Stand up and be counted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn:
There is more than one site out there. Unless the fishing is awesome fishing boats normally hit more than one spot in a day. A good captain, dive or fishing boat, has a primary plan, a secondary plan, and probably a plan C and D.

Why can't boat captains talk to each other and work together to reduce conflicts? It would improve business on both sides.

TwoBit

I'm not talking about any ole site, but a high profile site like the Texas Clipper. If I pay for a dive trip to the Clipper, I won't be too happy to divert to some bridge rubble because a fishing boat is there.

Why can't boat captains talk to each other? Competition. And some are just plain a-holes, good business or not.

If a dive boat is going to guarantee a particular site, then the captain needs to be able to leave early enough and have a fast enough boat to beat everyone else.

Unless there are spearos on board, dive boats and fishing boats shouldn't be seen as in competition with each other. As usual, my opinion.

TwoBitTxn:
If a dive boat is going to guarantee a particular site, then the captain needs to be able to leave early enough and have a fast enough boat to beat everyone else.

You've gotta be kidding. Have you ever dove outside of Texas? Dive charters businesses open to the public have scheduled departure times that are published. Since departure times are published, others could easily undercut them. They can't print up brochures and ads saying they depart at 8AM and then just arbitrarily leave earlier.

Would you fly to Key Largo to dive the Spiegel Grove with that uncertainty?

ReefHound:
You've gotta be kidding. Have you ever dove outside of Texas?
Yes, I have. Although I have never dove on the grove. One day maybe.

Dive charters businesses open to the public have scheduled departure times that are published. Since departure times are published, others could easily undercut them. They can't print up brochures and ads saying they depart at 8AM and then just arbitrarily leave earlier.

I have never dove on a boat that you could walk up to the day of departure and get on either. Every boat I have ever dove from required a reservation. I would contend that most boats diving the Clipper would be 6 packs. You're right, if a boat had a 9am published departure time and the capt chose to leave at 8am, leaving paying customers on the dock, would be slitting his own throat. But, if there is a 9am published departure time, and the 6 divers wish a guarantee to hit the Clipper, and the capt says be on the dock at 7am, and all divers agree... what's wrong with that?

It isn't an arbitrary decision. Not all commercial capts are as cut throat as you appear to contend they are.

If we want to improve the artificial reefs in Texas the dive community needs to work with the fishing community. The latter is much better organized than the former. Trying to claim the Clipper as ours and no one else can use it is a battle we can't win.

:soapbox:

If the dive shops could figure out a way to work together towards a common goal, it may be a different story.

TwoBit

I got a weird feeling this Clipper deal is not as done as we all might thing it is. I have now had two posts that ask point blank if it is a "done deal" and specifically to Chairmantarac and no response.

Done deal in my opinion is when she is available for us to dive on. As you are aware TPWD has completed its proposal to marad. Tpwd is waiting for its reply. What specifically do you want me to do?

Specifically I wanted to know if the location was a "done deal" and whether or not the location could be changed. I also had asked specifically where the notices of the "public hearing" were located. I know you said you contacted divers and some dive clubs. Which dive clubs did you send a letter to or speak at? I can think of five just in the DFW area that never heard about it. I know the Chum Club didn't know about it or they would not have started this thread. Were any dive shops notified at all? Which ones? I was a member of the North Texas Retailers association until a year ago and there was no mention of it at the meetings. I am still in contact with at least 7 dive shops in my area on a regular basis and no one knew anything about this project.

I am really trying to get an idea of how many people were notified on a statewide basis. Or was it more locally announced and was the deal really done as far as location choice before the project was even announced for funding?

Scubaboard regular "CMay" says in post 16 of this thread that

"By all appearances, minds (high up the food chain) were made up before this project even started as to where this wreck should lie. It has basically become a moot point, if the Clipper goes down she will do so in S. Padre."

Is that true? Was the location decided on BEFORE a public hearing took place?

The clipper project started 10 years ago. The location was not decided before a public hearing took place. Texas Parks and Wildlife lists there public meetings on there website. John and Doug are very active in the dive community and I am unaware that they kept the project a secret or did not tell you about the committtee or how to get in touch with me. I would expect inquires addressed to the committee would be forwarded to me from the Austin headquarters.TPWD has had a booth at seaspace for over 5 years. TPWD has had a booth on artificial reefs every year in Austin at the EXPO. The project was discussed at DEMA in Houston. Your interest is greatly appreciated, Sorry you were blown out for the trip this past weekend I was hoping to meet you

Well it does make me feel better that there were some booths setup at various events. I guess it just confuses me that so many people seem so unaware about a 10 year old project that costs so much money. I feel about as out of the loop as I can possibly be at this point. Thank you very much for answering my questions in this public forum. I am glad to hear the project location was not selected before the whole thing got started. I will try and stay more aware from now on, and thank you again for answering my questions. I will put the Chum club meeting on my schedule for April 20 and try and make it down for the meeting.

Thank you Debraw, I am the first to agree with you about the cost. I am also curious that so many people seem so unaware.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom