Article on Diving Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
hello,

I thought I'd let you all know that my friend wrote up a really nice article on diving Kona

Diving Kona, Hawaii

She's been there several times and can't wait to go back again. I hope you find the information useful if you are considering it as a destination.

Personally I can't wait to go back to Mauai or Kauai, they were both paradise for me! topside and underwater

Scott

My wife and I vacation in Kona every Christmas and have done a number of the dives listed here.
Unfortunately neither of us were thrilled with the bigger DOs we used, so for the last number of years, we stopped diving. This past summer we dove in the Grand Caymens and our love of diving returned. We'll be back in Kona this Christmas and would love to get back under the water.

Does anyone have any opinion of any of the new DOs in Kona?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sorry. Didn't mention in my last post that I thought it was a very interesting article.
Reading it also got me excited again about diving Kona.

Thanks

My wife and I vacation in Kona every Christmas and have done a number of the dives listed here.
Unfortunately neither of us were thrilled with the bigger DOs we used, so for the last number of years, we stopped diving. This past summer we dove in the Grand Caymens and our love of diving returned. We'll be back in Kona this Christmas and would love to get back under the water.

Thanks.

I was in Kona at the end of February and dove with a newer shop that is unlike any operation I have dove with. It's called Wanna Dive Kona and is run by a guy named Steve. I HIGHLY recommend you check them out I had a great time. He takes a maximum of 6 divers and will go out with only 2. His website is Scuba diving in Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii with Wanna Dive. Boat diving charters, classes, intro dives. Hope you have fun!!

Hey Buck- I highly recommend Bottom Time. Their new management is highly competent and they have an exceedingly friendly and helpful staff, full service shop, and an awesome boat. I know they do long range trips way down south on Saturdays and manta dives other days. Check them out.

Great article, and on one of my recently found favorite sites as well. And what great timing to see this, I just booked tickets about an hour ago to go to Hawaii in late May. I got really lucky and found free flights on AA using a few airline miles I had and will be doing 3 days on Oahu and 3 in Kona staying at the Marriott on both islands using some hotel points I had stashed away. One of the perks of having a job that does a lot of travel is that you can sometimes take a trip to somewhere fun. With all I've been reading I can't wait to hit Kona and do some diving.

And Scott, after reading your site and seeing some of the material on compact digitals and some of the new housings it's got me drooling over a new camera setup, so my "free trip" will end up costing me anyway :wink:. I think I'm ready to graduate from my Canon SD770 and get something that allows me a little more control.

Thanks.

In Feb 2009 my wife and I dived with Dive Makai and Sandwich Isle Divers. Both were very good; the latter takes a max of 6 divers.

We had a great time and would certainly dive with both again.

Enjoy!

Hey Buck- I highly recommend Bottom Time. Their new management is highly competent and they have an exceedingly friendly and helpful staff, full service shop, and an awesome boat. I know they do long range trips way down south on Saturdays and manta dives other days. Check them out.

We just got back from Kona, went with Gabe's club, what a blast it was. Also did 4 boat dives with Bottom Time very cool operation. Some of the employees came from another Kona dive op that we use when in town. I can't say enough about how nice of a boat, friendly owner, of course the food, etc. Will use them again.

Great article, and on one of my recently found favorite sites as well.
And Scott, after reading your site and seeing some of the material on compact digitals and some of the new housings it's got me drooling over a new camera setup, so my "free trip" will end up costing me anyway :wink:. I think I'm ready to graduate from my Canon SD770 and get something that allows me a little more control.

thanks alot Lee. Anastasia wrote most of it, I just made a few small additions.

new camera setups are nice! Get yourself something with full manual controls, a strobe and a wet lens for macro or wide angle and you are good to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom