Arkansas Bend, Lake Travis campout/dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys!
Kenny finally got me on this thing and showed me where to go to find you guys! I had a WONDERFUL time this weekend! I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to have my first dive camp out experience with!

Hey Rumbum~ did you ever get your dives downloaded from 8-9?

LM~ What is that scuba store that you were telling me about that had the "cheap" wet suits?

Thanks again for a great weekend everyone! Scuba divers really are a cool group of people to hang with!! Hope to do it again soon!

~Jess
aka Ms_Klantz

Hey guys!
Kenny finally got me on this thing and showed me where to go to find you guys! I had a WONDERFUL time this weekend! I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to have my first dive camp out experience with!

LM~ What is that scuba store that you were telling me about that had the "cheap" wet suits?

Thanks again for a great weekend everyone! Scuba divers really are a cool group of people to hang with!! Hope to do it again soon!

~Jess
aka Ms_Klantz

Royal Scuba has them and the price is awesome, also even though I may get flamed for suggesting if you know your size you can check out scubatoys.com as they are having some great deals as well.

Tattoo guy, how many more anchors did you bring up? Did you get that cool one? You and the wife need to come to oasis wall , we can get lots of crap there. :D I love crap

I didn't find the one you and I were working on, but I found another one on the Sun morning dive with Kenny. Pricey sucker. You know someone had to be pissed.
Digger Anchor

Found another mushroom anchor on the 2nd dive with RumBum, but it was 10min into our dive and I didn't feel like messing with the lift bag (aka SMB).

Ya, she was bummed that she missed out on such a fun weekend. She'll be ready for the next one though!

Hey guys!

~Jess
aka Ms_Klantz

Welcome to ScubaBoard Jess! It was great diving with you this weekend. Zoe, Kenny and you are welcome to join in at any of the events, or just you and Zoe while he is out of town, look forward to diving with you again.

Here is the log info from our Sunday morning dive we did with Kenny.

Attachments

• divewithjess.pdf
    41.9 KB · Views: 52
Dive report, please...did you do the night dives? Is it a decent dive/camping area? Any chance there are still some anchors to be found?

My dives with Jessica:
dive 1: max depth: 42 ft, time:26 min
dive 2: max depth: 32 ft, time 25 min

Glad you've joined the board, Jessica! :D

Trip report, the short version: the dive spot is decent and different. Lots of tree stumps, rocks, and even a few fish. There is a lot of boat traffic so an SMB and/or dive flag would be best. The area has a "wall" at 30' in the cove which deepens as you head toward the point (north). The point had some large grottos at 40-45 which Matt and I found on our very enjoyable night dive. Visibility varied wildly depending on boat traffic, wind, etc. I found decently good vis on my dives, ranging from 5 ft to almost 15 ft a couple times.
(I must be getting used to the swamp - did you see me just call 5 ft visibility GOOD??? )

Last edited:
Dive report, please...did you do the night dives? Is it a decent dive/camping area? Any chance there are still some anchors to be found?

I'd say all in all it's a pretty good site. The camp sites are fully shaded. With the lake at it's current level it's about a 40yrd walk to mid point, which is where we were putting in. We had a couple EZ Up's @ the shore to keep us and all our gear shaded, which helped a Lot.
Your not going to have the "attractions" that the Dam and Windy Point will have (boats, statues, etc), but you'll have about the same vis, lots more stumps, and the possibility of finding "treasures". There are at least two anchors that were not recovered, probably several more.

All in all, it was a great venue for the weekends activities.

Yes we did the night dives, as well as afternoon dives and morning dive. It is a great camping/good dive area. Viz on Saturday afternoon dive was not great, but ok around the wall at 30-40' ranging from 4-8'. Some did a second afternoon dive, viz was reported as being a bit better toward the entrance of the cove, which was where my initial scouting dives took place.

After dinner and some hydration, we took off for night dive, k-valve decided to go dive off point and find the river channel, the rest of us entered at our afternoon entry point. I dove with RumBum on night dive and we went right toward cove mouth working way down to wall at 30-40, proceeding along wall till turn pressure and then working our way back along various ledges going more shallow till exit. Lots better vis on night dive, at least at that depth, those who went deeper reported real crap at thermocline. After us single tankers came up from our dives we went up and began the BS session while waiting for the techy guys to come up. It was cool as they neared the surface and you could see the glow of the HID's under the water.

After more fat chewing, I gave up about 130 or 2, me and rocket hit the sack. After breakfast and some more hanging out, I finally got into the water with Kenny and his wife Jess at around 1230 for my 'morning' dive. I will second LM's statement that Jess is a natural, great diving with both her and Kenny.

Hopefully some of the rest will come on and share their dives. Attached my dive log profiles for the weekend.

I must say that that much fun is really exhausting:D

Down side to weekend... those who didn't get to dive, our chef LM was out for night and morning dives :(

Also, the boat full of hotties for my wet tshirt contest failed to materialize :wink:

Still have 4 small pink t's waiting to be filled :D

Maybe we can find something to do with them by the next camp dive weekend, coming sometime in end of September to Paleface!

Attachments

• abendweekend.pdf
    105.2 KB · Views: 63
I have not attempted to use camera yet, going to give it till weekend to dry out, but pics from campsite are on chip was able to access them without a problem using my printers memory card port, now I have to find my usb chip reader so I can download and post them. The battery also charged successfully, if only I can get so lucky with the camera itself.

I tend to get up early, even after sitting around drinking beer till late, so I took Rocket and went for morning walk so as not to disturb rest of camp and to enjoy to gorgeous morning. I took my camera and got a few shots before dropping it into cooler:shakehead::no:lotsalove::11:

2751213180090248561S600x600Q85.jpg

2750173330090248561S600x600Q85.jpg

2055274880090248561S600x600Q85.jpg

2111493100090248561S600x600Q85.jpg

Rest are here

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom