Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AriaSarky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hey new to the whole DH regulator business and had a question if anyone has had success diving an Argonaut Kraken with a back inflate BC not BP/W similar to the AquaLung Balance, Zeagle Ranger etc? Does the BC allow for proper positioning between the shoulders?

If you can loosen the shoulder straps and mount the tank low, you can get close, keeping the reg close to your back helps too. If you get the Kraken in DIN and use a spin on adaptor it will move the reg nearly an inch closer to your back. A b/c isn’t optimal but with a few tweaks very good results are possible.

Honestly, the best option is just to bite the bullet and get the VDH plate. It's a MUCH better experience than trying to use it with a normal BC, or even a normal backplate. I tried both and was ready to ditch the whole idea until I tried the VDH plate.

You can make most back inflate BC's work, it will function but it's not optimal by far. You need to extend the shoulder straps some AND use a crotch strap to keep the BC from riding up. The other issue is spacing around the top of the BC for the DH itself. Some BCs and BP/wings don't have enough space for the cans (round housing of the DH reg) and can bind them against the BC. This is the reason for the U shaped cutout in the VDH plate.
If you are buying a BC anyway, why not just get the VDH one. It works well with single hose reg and if you chose to use a DH, it works well with a simple strap adjustment if needed. It also offers a wide range of lift options.

Interesting to
You can make most back inflate BC's work, it will function but it's not optimal by far. You need to extend the shoulder straps some AND use a crotch strap to keep the BC from riding up. The other issue is spacing around the top of the BC for the DH itself. Some BCs and BP/wings don't have enough space for the cans (round housing of the DH reg) and can bind them against the BC. This is the reason for the U shaped cutout in the VDH plate.
If you are buying a BC anyway, why not just get the VDH one. It works well with single hose reg and if you chose to use a DH, it works well with a simple strap adjustment if needed. It also offers a wide range of lift options.
You're talking about the Wings on VDH correct? I've been eying them as I have heard they are made for the purpose of proper DH positioning but as I've been looking they haven't come back in stock. I would love to buy one and a Kraken at the same time but it looks as if they won't be stocked at the same time.

Back plate mainly as far as using it with a DH is concerned but the wings are high quality and were designed to work the back plate.. The VDH back plate's shape is specifically designed to work with DH regs which is the reason to use it over other plates if you intend to dive a DH reg. It works well with single hose regs as the DH modifications have no effect on a single hose reg so there is no need to use it just for DH diving. Bryan is a small operation so he does have stock issues at times, so occasionally you have to be patient. Go ahead and get the BP, dive it with your single hose and jump on the next batch of AK's when they are announced.

Go ahead and get the BP, dive it with your single hose and jump on the next batch of AK's when they are announced.
Agree with Herman. At $65 the VDH plate is a good deal and while it's designed for double hose use, it works very well with a single hose regulator. It is also designed for single tank diving-not doubles, so it's more suitable than a double tank plate modified for use with a single tank. The VDH harness is a good deal too; last time I checked it was still in stock.

Ping @Bryan@Vintage Double Hose for an update on stock for the Kraken regulator, wings, etc.

Interesting to

You're talking about the Wings on VDH correct? I've been eying them as I have heard they are made for the purpose of proper DH positioning but as I've been looking they haven't come back in stock. I would love to buy one and a Kraken at the same time but it looks as if they won't be stocked at the same time.

I do my best to keep a ready supply of both items and I apologize for the inconvenience. The holidays wiped me out of every wing I could get my hands on but I hope to have inventory late next week.
I really appreciate your consideration and I hope you will check back with the website store again.

Back
Top Bottom