Argon? I have the gas but is it worth the trouble?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Sr. Moderator
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’m stoked! My new Catalyst 360 will be here tomorrow along with a new Fusion suit for my lovely bride! I see many posts on the value of Argon as a suit gas. Worth it? Down side?

I have access to 85% Argon - 15% CO2 welding gas – or 100% Argon - 1 ea 300cf bottles in my garage already. I could easily fill a 6cf pony but is it worth the trouble? SoCal water min temps are 48°-50° .

Give it a try. It's a better insulator than air, but only you can tell if the difference it makes in your comfort level is worth the effort. Since you have the gas, I'd say go for it.

Give it a try. It's a better insulator than air, but only you can tell if the difference it makes in your comfort level is worth the effort. Since you have the gas, I'd say go for it.

+1. If you're going to do it, my vote would be to do the 100% Argon though.

Shane

There's a study out there that shows there's little difference in insulation between argon and air. If so, then it's probably not worth it unless you're diving trimix...

I dive in similar water temperatures (northern California), and I recently made the switch to argon inflation. I can't say I noticed a difference to my comfort level, though I've heard others report differently.

I made the switch in anticipation of one day diving helium-based gas. That said, additional comfort or no, it was still worth it to me.

You better drop the 15% CO2... Or you may use it, but you will most likey only do it once, as you will develop a bad itch because of CO2 merging with sweat to develop carbonic acid...

Also, it could be a good idea to flush your suit with argon before jumping in the water, to dilute the air as much as possible, as well as getting rid of some humidity...

I have never 'felt' any difference using argon as a ds gas while diving air or trimix. At a $1 cf retail for fills in our area its not worth it to me!

I've used argon. Cheap for me, but air is free when topping off a 6cf bottle. Difference? Negligible, if at all. Theory is good though. Flushing helps, but flushing with air helps too. Most people don't flush with air, only argon, and there is part of the perceived difference. Replacing humid air in the suit with dry air from the bottle will make a difference. In the end, I just use air now.

If you dive trimix, don't inflate with your back gas. The Helium will make you cold. Been there, done that. Skin bends, whatever. Never saw any of that. Just use air.

As for CO2 in the argon - I'd stay away from that if you can. CO2 and diving don't mix. I wouldn't want to be doing flushes and burping CO2 in my face through the neck seal before jumping in. I don't like headaches. I'm not sure if counter-diffusion of CO2 through the skin is a possibility like Helium, but like I said above, I never felt any effects of this with the He.

I'm rambling. Save your money. Use air. :)

I’m stoked! My new Catalyst 360 will be here tomorrow along with a new Fusion suit for my lovely bride! I see many posts on the value of Argon as a suit gas. Worth it? Down side?

I have access to 85% Argon - 15% CO2 welding gas – or 100% Argon - 1 ea 300cf bottles in my garage already. I could easily fill a 6cf pony but is it worth the trouble? SoCal water min temps are 48°-50° .

For SoCal, you are way better off with
1) better hood
2) dry gloves
3) better d/suit undergarments

if it is truly "free" then (carbonic acid issues aside) I guess go for it but the others are order of magnitude more noticeable

I'll second the comment that argon makes no noticeable difference compared to air. At best Argon is about a 30% better insulator but that assumes a 100% argon environment. Consequently if you use it, you need to flush the air from the suit at least once and twice is better if the undergarments are lofty and even then yopu will not have anywhere close to 100% argon in the suit. If you do multiple dives you either need to stay in the suit (ie: you need a pee valve) or you need to to reflush the suit prior to the second dive.

If you are using trimix in cold water, inflating with a separate bottle is a good idea as both air and argon are much better insulators than helium. That said, I'd still fill the inflation bottle with air rather than argon as there is basically no difference.

Back
Top Bottom