Argon bottle setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not going to hurt your regulator to have Argon pass through it. If you use it to check your argon bottle, just purge the reg a bit when you hook it back up to breathing gas, to get the argon out of the hoses.

There is no problem with leaving your suit inflator hose on your first stage, but it's kind of difficult to figure out where to put it that it isn't dangling and in the way, and is still accessible for the dive.

I've found having our own tank pressure gauge has been awfully convenient.

And I don't do mix dives without being darned sure I have a full Argon bottle :)

the dive shop sold me a Salvo that has only 2 plugs; one for OPV and second for hose.
Is this the Salvo argon regulator? I thought that one only had LP ports, so a SPG wouldn't function (properly) anyway.
The reason I didn't use my main 1st stage breathing regulator to check PSI on my Argon was that I thought that would push Argon through my Air system, of which I don't know if thats bad or not?
Not a problem.
I thought of maybe purchasing a PSI pressure gauge for all my bottles. That way I could manually check all my bottles if I had to. Simply keep it in my dive bag and pull it out when uncertain of gas, in this case it would be good for the Argon bottle.
If you dive on a regular basis, own one or more of your own tanks, this is a very reasonable and modest investment. I waited 7 years to buy one, but afterward wished I had used money I wasted on a few 'gadgets' and bought one early on.
How many divers leave the long hose on their 1st stage main regulator? If so, where do you stow it so it's safely out of the way but easy to deploy on a out of Argon situation?
If you mean the second LP inflator hose, I left mine on. I bungee it to the tank after I put the reg on. That way if the argon bottle is found to be empty (before going in), or I forget the bottle, or the regulator for the bottle (which I have done a time or two), I have the easy option of connecting to back gas (unless it is a mix dive).

how long it will last would depend on the depth and the profile of the dive.
the 6 is probably fine for a couple shallowish square profile dives

If you mean the second LP inflator hose, I left mine on. I bungee it to the tank after I put the reg on. That way if the argon bottle is found to be empty (before going in), or I forget the bottle, or the regulator for the bottle (which I have done a time or two), I have the easy option of connecting to back gas (unless it is a mix dive).
It's nice that this approach works for you but it does not have anything with DIR.

It's nice that this approach works for you but it does not have anything with DIR.
You are absolutely right. It does not.

how long it will last would depend on the depth and the profile of the dive.
the 6 is probably fine for a couple shallowish square profile dives

It's more than adequate. I can get two Tech1 level dives and still have enough for a couple of shallow beach dives.

I just purchased something this: https://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=86_237&products_id=2350 its nice cause it has a small little guage on it.

Yeah,

That is the Higland reg Argon setup; it comes with 2 LP ports and 1 HP port. I unfortunately was sold the Salvo reg Argon setup; it comes with only 2 LP ports so I cannot have a mini-spg.

That being said I was able to get 3 dives in Monterey and was left with 1,000 PSI on a 6 cf tank.

Dives were:

Dive #1, 81ft @ 27 min, Gas cons .82 cft/min

Dive #2, 49ft @ 31 min, Gas cons .81 cft/min

Dive #3, 85ft @ 35 min, Gas cons .74 cft/min

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom