Argon Bottle setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetman

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all,

What are people using for an argon bottle setup? I'm interested in the size of the tanks, the type of valvel and the regulator. I'd hate to think there isnt a separate type of small and cheap 1st stage dedicated to this need as it seems like a bit of overkill to use a standard 1st stage for such a thing. What are you guys using?

steve

I don't want a cheap first stage on the suit inflation bottle...

I want my suit inflation system to be top notch! A lot is riding on it.

Anyway... Shane uses a Scubapro Mksomething and I use a AL Titan first... both are fitted with OPRV, a button SPG and an inflator hose.

We use 6cf AL bottles and a cheap, dependable, simple, out of the way, quickly accessable and easy to use attachment system... cost=nothing but scraps you probably have laying around.

I use a Mk2 first stage with an OPV but no SPG.

Another bottle choice (which I use) is the Luxfer 14cf bottle that's 2015 so you can get complete fills (new bulk Argon bottles come at about 2400 PSI). Other Luxfer bottles are 3000 psi, so you nly get partial fills.

I use the Halcyon Argon bands for mounting to my doubles.

Roak

wetman once bubbled...
one of those tx40s on that great deal at diveinn. WHY do i always think about this stuff way too late....
No need for a tx40 second stage... you want a US1 1st stage... you only need the one lp outlet.

Oh Yeah... Shanes scubapro is the Mk2 like Roak's...

We don't need no stinking full fills in our little 6cf argon bottles....
The will do two dives and we can refill with a whip... the real ticket is the argon purge tank that we carry on the boat or in the truck... steel 72 filled with argon lasts a looooooooong time when it comes to pre-purging the suits.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
We don't need no stinking full fills in our little 6cf argon bottles....
The will do two dives and we can refill with a whip... the real ticket is the argon purge tank that we carry on the boat or in the truck... steel 72 filled with argon lasts a looooooooong time when it comes to pre-purging the suits.
See, my 14 is jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none. I purge and do several dives (which means several purges) from my one bottle.

One of these days I'll buy a cylinder of Argon, but for now I need to go to the shop for a fill. :)

Roak

wetman once bubbled...
One more question on this then:

would you put an overpressure valve in one of the low pressure outlets (i think i've seen these around before) somewhere on the 1st stage given that this doesnt really have an outlet in the event of a 1st stage failure? Or is that something to even consider - would you just let your hose blow?
You’re welcome to ask more than one question... :)

Yes, the OPV goes in one of the 1st stage LP ports and keeps the hose from blowing in case of 1st stage failure.

By preserving your hose, this allows you to shut down the valve and add Argon if you need to by pressing on your suit inflator valve and then manually opening the cylinder valve.

Of course, about the only place you'd ever need to add gas during the aborted portion of a dive would be if you had to descend to leave a cave or wreck. Otherwise it'll be a straight ascent to the surface and you'd never have to add gas.

Roak

In our case, for a weekend of diving on the road space is limited. We use 2015 psi 14 cft tanks for argon and thats all we carry. I can purge and dive all weekend without having to carry anything else. By the time I pack 4 sets of doubles, deco tanks, stage bottles and all the other stuff we cayrry, my van is sitting on the ground and full to the top.

I use a Catalina AL6 tank with a rebuilt SP first stage and a button pressure gauge and a 22" lp inflator hose. I mount the tank upside down on my waist strap by using a short piece of 2" webbing secured to the tank with a couple of screw-down bands wrapped in nylon tubing. Sorry, no pictures, but it's a standard setup. I normally get about 5 recreational dives out of the AL6, depending upon time and depth.

I also carry an AL13 along to use for purging, although it's pretty common for a couple of the groups that I dive with to drag along an old AL80 for a community purge tank.

I'm not certain how much benefit the Argon is on air dives - but below 40F I want every edge I can get in fighting the cold.

Steven

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom