argh!!! Whats your fav rum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pussers is good.
Bacardi is my house standard.
Goslings I break out for special occasions.
Cruzan, Parrot Bay, or Malibu for the times when I'm jonesing for something sweet.

Light or Dark, it need not matter. As long as it says rum, i'm generally happy :D

Capt Morgan's private stock. dang good stuff man!

Another vote for Pyrat.
Dark Cruzan, from the island, not imported. The flavored Cruzan is good too, vanilla and coconut. Raspberry tastes like cough medicine.
And of course Zaya is awesome.

I have 2:

Monte Cristo -

4252.gif

And

Belize One Barrell Rum -

onebarrel.jpg

I can't drink Capt Morgan's at all anymore, it makes me queasy just smelling it.

Sailor Jerry is the best spiced rum I've tried... it's smoother, stronger, tastier, and usually cheaper than Capt. Morgan, which after converting to Sailor Jerry I now consider swill unfit for consumption.

As an added bonus, each bottle of Sailor Jerry comes with a piece of Sailor Jerry's classic tattoo flash behind the label on the back of the bottle.

http://sailorjerry.com/rum/

For dark rum, it's Goslings... the only way to make a proper dark & stormy.

I don't really have a favorite light rum, although I sometimes uses Bacardi 151 for tinctures. I'm definately open to suggestions on that front.

Scuba_Jenny:
Another vote for Pyrat.
Dark Cruzan, from the island, not imported. The flavored Cruzan is good too, vanilla and coconut. Raspberry tastes like cough medicine.
And of course Zaya is awesome.

Yep, Pyrat, Zaya & Dark Cruzan are great rums.

MSilvia:
I don't really have a favorite light rum, although I sometimes uses Bacardi 151 for tinctures. I'm definately open to suggestions on that front.

I sometimes use 151 to clean out the inside of turntable tonearms or the audio side of CDs.

The Logic Theorist:
I sometimes use 151 to clean out the inside of turntable tonearms or the audio side of CDs.
Exactly... it's not so much a beverage as a tool.

My grandmother gave me a great old recipe for a curative tincture that uses it... anaecdotal evidence seems to point to it speeding healing times considerably when it's applied topically, but not without a little sting. Basicly, you soak crushed cayenne peppers in 151, stirring several times daily for about a week. After that, the peppers are strained out through cheesecloth, and the liquid is reserved in an open container, which is likewise stirred several times a day until enough alcohol has evaporated off to reduce it's volume to about 1/3. At that point, it is further reduced in a double boiler to about half of that volume. Apply sparingly, and obviously not near the eyes or sensitive skin.

That said, I had a few frozen rum drinks in Key West that the bartender finished making by sticking a straw in 151, putting a thumb over the top to keep the straw from draining, and then inserting the straw into the drink. That was a pretty nice touch.

arrrrr...

I never met a rum that I didn't like. As for favorite(s)....yes, rum please!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom