Area Gulf Water Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bumcikaz, I will be going out Wednesday and Thursday to Veteran's Reef. I will give a report of temps and viz once I come off the boat.

Bumcikaz, I will be going out Wednesday and Thursday to Veteran's Reef. I will give a report of temps and viz once I come off the boat.

Do you have any feedback on the conditions? I'll be diving with Tanks-a-Lot next week...

Went out yesterday guys.

70 feet of water the vis was awesome up top at 50 ish but sloppy down on structure with half that. Water temp was 70 on top but low 60s under the thermocline.

55 feet of water, the top was clean but bottom was worse with 15-20.

Lots of turtles and sharkys in town and vets is one of their favorites.

Thanks for the info! Im in the aarea til friday, will dive with tanks alot on wednesday, maybe ill wear 5mil suit

Vets is like 45 feet deep so your prob over the thermocline up there brother.

Sighhhhhhh.... 65ft of water off clearwater, vis was 20-30, temp on the surface was 75, seas were 2-4s w a few 6ft sets to keep us awake.

Lots of sharkys still, even saw a good size hammer but he left me alone.

I must be crazy with how much i talk to myself in here lol.

-the only diver in tampa bay

Not the only one, but it does seem everyone goes out of town to dive.
My girl/buddy is still begging for a few more degrees though, and I am healing up after an injury or three, but I suspect a lot more people will be crawling out of the woodwork soon.

This is a thread in the florida forum planning an Indian Rocks Beach dive this week too....

I cant wait to get out of that damn wet suit, so i can relate... but spring/fall vis is the bees knees, totally worth it.

Injures are a joy killer, offshore underwater excursions in the gulf definitely require a person to be 100%.

As for not diving locally, the only people who say anywhere else in the world is better are people who have not been under water off tampa bay. The gulf is one of the richest fisheries in the world, we have more wildlife under the water around here than you could ever hope to see in a lifetime. From great whites and orcas all the way down to flounder and octos, it all comes thru the gulf at some point through the year and we are soooo lucky to live where we do. If you go 10 miles offshore of se florida all your going to look at is structure, be it natural or man made. Ten miles off st petersburg the bait clouds blot out the sun with cobia, grouper, sharks and turtles (the good stuff) all over the place. We may not have 100 ft of vis but when the fish can see you 100 ft away they leave, a small amount of limited vis can do wonders for the amount of fish seen... So can not being hammered my the largest fishing population center in all of FL... but thats a whole different story.

I kind of rambled on a bit there but you are so right, most people do leave to dive only because getting out to decent water here is difficult. Inside of 3 miles is normally no fun for me or most other people but 10 miles out to 80 is a golden area of our planet and i wish more people knew.

Beach dive after a week of 10-20 knot winds is wishful thinking imo, who knows, i may be wrong, but thats a lot of work to look at some reef modules, lol. Good luck either way to all diving, a bad dive is better than no dive.

Sighhhhhhh.... 65ft of water off clearwater, vis was 20-30, temp on the surface was 75, seas were 2-4s w a few 6ft sets to keep us awake.

Lots of sharkys still, even saw a good size hammer but he left me alone.

I must be crazy with how much i talk to myself in here lol.

My son and I were out there with Tanks-a-Lot last month, and will be there again in a few weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom