Are you too old to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice! I love your posts guys! And not to make anyone feel out of shape or anything, but if you consider carrying a few 28-34.4 lb tanks on a little hike or up and down a ladder a few times a workout, then you need to come work out in the gym with me for a day. :wink:

Maybe you should try doing this before you comment... just saying.

Nice! I love your posts guys! And not to make anyone feel out of shape or anything, but if you consider carrying a few 28-34.4 lb tanks on a little hike or up and down a ladder a few times a workout, then you need to come work out in the gym with me for a day. :wink:

Also consider that this thread is primarily about "mature" individuals who are on the upper side of 60. My suspicion is that you're a wee bit younger than that. Like it or not, age causes a degradation in how your body reacts to exercise. While the organ between my ears still thinks I'm 25, the rest of me definitely lets me know that I'm not.

Jim

I'm 67 and doing things in the gym I never did when I was younger. Being retired, of course, means that there's no job competing for that energy. (And I can sit around and do nothing after a deadlift day!)

I'm 63. Yesterday I did a mixed gas stage decompression dive at Ginnie Springs. 103 minutes at 96 feet cave dive. Been diving since 1966. I'll have to be wheel chaired to a dive site before I'll quit.
Three years ago I had a total left knee done. 30 days postop I was scuba diving. 34 days postop I did a full cave dive.
Your only as old as you feel.
:)
Ps: I did have to change from back mount to sidemount 120's due to my knees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
qapaduba.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe you should try doing this before you comment... just saying.

I can see how my comment may have gotten under your skin a bit. It was not meant too, unless it was enough to encourage someone to consider a more healthy lifestyle. Certainly, their are manual labor activities around dives, not included in the dive itself that are challenging. But are those activities really enough to keep someone in good overall shape and good health?

The other day, my calves got a pretty good workout during a three hour rescue diver course towing full grown men around in simulation, but, that is not my normal daily diving routine. Being neutrally buoyant and flying around in the water is not going to challenge the body much. Being in shape is going to lower stress, heart rate, blood pressure, and breathing rates to help make diving even less of a chore. A person is much more likely going to be able to perform well in an emergency if they are trained to deal with it and are in good health. Not to mention, you'll be able to dive at a much older age if you have all your faculties in tact. Waiting and putting that off will likely interfere with your middle age and older age diving plans. Convincing yourself that SCUBA diving as a recreational sport is enough is just not realistic. Of course professionally, there are too many variables around what you do out of the water to know if that is enough. But most routine labor jobs tear people down, where exercise builds people up.

Most importantly, don't forget the diet aspect. You can never beat a poor diet.

Also consider that this thread is primarily about "mature" individuals who are on the upper side of 60. My suspicion is that you're a wee bit younger than that. Like it or not, age causes a degradation in how your body reacts to exercise. While the organ between my ears still thinks I'm 25, the rest of me definitely lets me know that I'm not.

Jim

I am middle age, but my VO2 max scores and wellness checkups are that of a 20 year old. It's not because I am lucky, but instead because I work out vigorously 3-4 a week, eat healthy, and stay active. I have many fitness friends in their 60+ years that are in as good as shape as I am.

Jim

I am 60, I maintain a fitness level that would allow me to easily and consecutively, on demand, swim 1 mile or more in under 30 minutes and immediately jump on my bike and ride 25 to 30 miles, fast, and then run (I substitute my elliptical due to titanium rod in my left leg) a good six miles. I am much slower at these things now than when I was 30 years old but I can still do them.

I am not sure how long I can continue to consider this my minimum fitness level and I fight to keep my weight below 170 and BMI in the green because I do like to occasionally eat. But, that time is not yet upon me.

N

Some people like me have " FAR " out did themselves in the younger years.... I'm in my mid 50's and look like I'm 40... Think I'm in my 20's... But my body is in it's 70's.... Shot, Stabbed and broken body many times... I'm filled with bars, plates and screws... The workout of hauling gear to get wet is a job...

Don't judge .... :wink:

Jim

As to the OP, there is just something off-putting about a relatively younger, new diver, lecturing an older crowd about diving fitness. In my book, most of these guys are doing pretty well, or they wouldn't still be doing the kind of diving that they are, or diving at all for that matter. I can only hope that I am still diving when I am in my 60's. I am very mindful of my fitness level and certainly plan on diving as long as I can. However, age takes a toll on us all, on some level. I don't see the value in comparing your fitness level to those much older than you, other than simple self-aggrandizement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom