Are you surprised how non divers perceive diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple of years ago, my wife and I went to the Big Island for vacation with my friend and his wife. My friend is very afraid of the water to the point that he won't submerge past his waste. He also happens to run marathons as a hobby. On the other hand, his wife loves the water and was anxious to try scuba when she found out that I was a diver. One morning, she came along with me to do a DSD when I booked a couple of shallow shore dives with a local dive op. My friend, on the other hand, decided to go on a 15 mile jog by himself. When we returned later that morning, he thought we were the crazy ones.
:confused:

My wife was certified to dive at age 74, she is now 78. Our friends are just flabbergasted she dives. All kinds of negative comments of how dangerous, how idiotic is is for people our age to be involved in such a dangerous sport. I commented to one jogger who asked about sharks, "There are more pit bull attacks on runners than shark attacks on divers."

People have no concept of how beautiful diving is.

Oh well, their loss.

I quickly respond that I too am claustrophobic and was surprised at how free I feel in the water!

---------- Post Merged at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:24 AM ----------

I want desperately for my wife to dive. Alas, she is afraid of water and doesn't even swim I have talked, gently, about getting her some swim lessons at the local shop. Maybe one day. Her daughter however is all for it. Over the course of the summer I hope to find the funds to get her Open Water and personal gear. Perhaps if she and I dive together for a while, she can rave to her mother about how great it is and get her interested.
I get a lot of the standard questions from gawkers and the curious. I generally reply with the standard answers - it is safer than most daily commutes, more dog bites than shark bites by percentage, no more expensive than that titanium bike you're on right now. The response that catches them though is the one that comes from the heart. I have a reputation as a "silver tongued devil" and can wax poetic about the glorious experience of diving. I have found that when you speak with passion, people notice. Believe me, I am passionate about diving!

Back
Top Bottom