Are you surprised how non divers perceive diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I tell people I dive underground in dark caves, the look on their faces is priceless.
I usually put an extra layer in telling them I go trough holes where the tanks scrape the ceiling and sometimes I get prevented from going forward.

The coup de grace is when I say that the distance covered is many hundreds of feet.

People often ask me what I see inside of caves ... I tell them "wet rocks" ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

When I tell people I dive underground in dark caves, the look on their faces is priceless.
I usually put an extra layer in telling them I go trough holes where the tanks scrape the ceiling and sometimes I get prevented from going forward.

The coup de grace is when I say that the distance covered is many hundreds of feet.

Now that is scary!! :D

Should've heard some of the questions we got from the guy who took this picture ... he started out by asking us if we were nuts ...

SnowPics0032.jpg

I said "Yeah, we are ... but sometimes being crazy's kinda fun ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob if you had a red wetsuit on that would be an awesome Christmas card, Santa and two helpers delivering pressies to UW children :rofl3:

Way-to-Go, Belmont ;O !!!!....Your my kinda' diver !!!!!.....Scare the hell Out-of-the-Aliens !!!......

Bob if you had a red wetsuit on that would be an awesome Christmas card, Santa and two helpers delivering pressies to UW children :rofl3:

That would've been appropriate, since that picture was taken four days before Christmas ... we even found a Christmas three ornament on the dive ...

CIMG9642.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I remember myself and a group of divers having an interesting conversation with a group of hillwalkers where we both said pretty much the exact same things to each other with us quizzing them about hillwalking and them quizzing us about diving:

"How do you carry all that heavy equipment?"
"You must be really fit to do that?"
"Dont you worry about getting hurt?"
"How would you get out if something went wrong?"
"Isnt it uncomfortable getting cold and wet?"
"How do you afford all that gear?"
"What do you even see out there?"

:D

I was once talking to a non-diver and got the following concern for my well-being:

"Did you know that you could get the bends from diving?" to which I just responded, "yes, that is covered in training".

Then, their follow-up question: "What is the bends?"

A diver showed up the other day to book a day of diving. He's a tall, muscled, heavily tattooed guy--pretty much the stereotype of a macho, fit, adventurous diver. He had his girlfriend in tow--a little thing half the size of the guy, medical intern. When she saw me--somebody's grandmother--she said "oh!" and her jaw literally dropped. I just laughed and asked her if she was surprised because I don't fit her mental image of a scuba instructor, and she blushed, managed to shut her mouth, and nodded. I thought it was pretty funny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom