Are you surprised how non divers perceive diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This past February on Maui we (combined age 118, combined percentage of white hair 95%) enjoyed a day's diving at a site called "Old Airport," north of Lahaina.

Isn't that where the LOL sign came from?

LOL.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm not surprised at all, because I used to think just like that! It used to be something that certain other people did, but not me, not ever. Until I heard somebody I knew talk about it like it was nothing special...

I get it being a black diver, first being didn't know black people dive, and second why would you want to do that. But the funniest is on my last trip to WPB I sat out the last dive, my 8th and was alone with the captain, and said "I have to ask, I bet you're the only black diver in Atlanta" I laughed and said no we have a club and I see a lot of other with dive flags on their cars. :wink:

How deep do you go?

How long can you dive with the oxygen tank?

The usual sharks questions

Have you ever ridden a seahorse? That one was from one of my staff in the lab when I lived in Jeddah.

I have a lot of photos in my iPhone that are good to show to people, the nudibranchs being the most colourful always have a positive response especially when I tell people how small they are.

My other half is not interested at all, show her a picture of a fish and she will explain the best way to cook and eat it!

My daughter on the other hand, I can see already that scuba diving is going to be a major part of her life.

I wish I could get my wife to dive - she is one of those who won't dive because she feels she will have a panic attack underwater and will be too anxious.

I have managed to get her to Snorkel - maybe next step is to get take free diving lessons as it will train her mindset that she can always come back to the surface and it is only one breath away.

Not Surprised at all, I use to live in Darwin in the NT, where you really couldn't go swimming at the beach because of crocodiles. People would say aren’t you afraid of being eaten when Scuba Diving. I would reply "Its not a problem the Sharks scare them away".

What non-divers see about diving is that it is a sport where, if something goes wrong, it can be deadly. That's why in most minds it fits right along with skydiving and backcountry snowboarding. And of course there's "Jaws".

... I wonder if there's a skydiving forum somewhere where skydivers are asking the same thing about their sport...

What non-divers see about diving is that it is a sport where, if something goes wrong, it can be deadly. That's why in most minds it fits right along with skydiving and backcountry snowboarding. And of course there's "Jaws".

... I wonder if there's a skydiving forum somewhere where skydivers are asking the same thing about their sport...

Q. What happens if your parachute does not open

A. Same as scuba diving, when you run out of air you die ........ except you can't CESA when skydiving

"It just seems way too scary. Too many things can go wrong" ~Solo freediving spearfisherman

uummmm, yeah...

:zen:

When I shore dive on one of our beaches and there are tourist around I usually get few interested people coming up and asking:
Have you ever seen a shark?
what do see?
Isn't it cold?
how long does my tank last?
How deep do you go?
What kind of fish are those? (on my stringer)

The best are the kids that run up if I'm dragging a big lingcod up the beach. They think it's sooo cool that I speared a big fish for dinner. They always yell at their friends nearby to get over there to see something cool. Once a big ling I shot had a full bulging belly so I turned it upside down and about a dozen small octopuss poured out of it's mouth and onto the beach, it was totally gross, but the kids loved it because it was something gross and disgusting.
I always like to play it up with them with tall stories and get their eyes big. Then I ask them (like Mike Nelson) "So what do you think, would you like to become a diver some day?". The answer is always "Oh yeah!! that sounds cool!!!
I get a kick out of those kids, they make my day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom