Are you still logging your dives?

Log your dives?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
my logs look like this:

186 - 6/3 69 67
187 - 6/5 90 49
188 - 6/7 100 31
189 - 6/11 87 43 /* cleaning cove 2 boundary cable */
190 - 6/14 103 56 /* scooter run alki */
191 - 6/17 111 59 /* scooter run alki south line 3k */
192 - 6/18 117 49 /* scooter run north line, 3k */
193 - 6/25 89 12 /* bones runaway scooter */
194 - 6/25 89 78
195 - 7/6 81 40 /* landing craft */
196 - 7/6 68 41 /* PBM Mariner */
197 - 7/9 120 63 /* scooter run north line, 3k */
198 - 7/10 109 62
199 - 7/26 101 57 /* alki, cove 2, peo + rich */
200 - 8/8 84 34 /* scout in lk washington */
201 - 8/12 30 100 /* stage bottle workshop */

i keep notes on weighting, gear and skills elsewhere and i focus on marine life when i do dives with my camera and document it that way. if i dive someplace completely new where there's no known dive site reviews i'll take more extensive notes on when we dropped, what the current was like, etc.

I'm glad you use the K&R style C comments

Still logging dives at 330+. I no longer use the Padi dive log and just keep a small booklet that I can keep notes in. I like noting ocean life spotted on each dive and even sketch little maps inside. It is really easy with my Uwatec dive log - after entering site information once it becomes a check list item so it can be added quickly for future dives.

scubabum2:
I'm embarrased to say I keep a dive log in hard copy and also compile some of the basic info on Excel. Its kind of fun seeing who I've dove with over the years, what places I went, etc. It's also a great reference for proper weighting, depending upon my suit density, fresh vs salt water, etc.

Why be embarrassed? I do that as well (I may have even more info on my Excel log). I also use diverecord.com.

thepurplehammerhead:
I do count my dives though, it's nice to see a milestone come and go...

How do you count them?

I still do but I did miss logging some dives heheh

I don't log with a book, I strictly use my dive computer and fill in the details when I actually feel like it (usually never) I just have a whole bunch of dives with locations noted and that is about it. i'm up to about 70 dives, and my only interest in the logged dives is checking out the profiles, seeing the improvement in air use over time, and just the cool little side facts - deepest, coldest, shallowest, warmest...

Z..

Walter:
How do you count them?

He cuts notches in the sides of his fins.

I log because I like to look back a remember the places and people I have seen and met along the way. Chronologically keeps things in perspective. More like a journal really.

Jason, I still log my dives since:

a) I still don't have that many (even though I do have more than my dive info suggests) and need the logged dives for proof of skill sometimes.

b) I put little notes describing what happened during that dive. It's something my first scuba instructor taught me to do and I'm very thankful for this. Thanks Phillippe! I love to be able to look back on a dive and remember what it was like.

c) I love to examine the stamps in my log book afterwards. :D

I didn't log between 500 and around 1000, but after that I'll download from my computer and add notes to it.

Back
Top Bottom