Are you still logging your dives?

Log your dives?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We need a third choice in this poll, "Sometimes."

I like keeping my unusual dives, my regular "local" dives are a bunch of
empty signed pages that end up in the trash at the end of the year.

I don't. If I was doing something technical, I would.

the whole weight variable is the big one for those who dive once or twice a year. very handy to have a book that tells you that at the last couple days of your previous vacation with that 3mm suit you used 6 pounds.. much better than showing up next time and not knowing what you need to dive comfortably and then starting overweighted and constantly changing weights all week.

I agree, but I think a diver should be able to hop in the first five minutes on the first dive somewhere and figure this out in two minutes. It is easier than looking at notes.

eyeball, exhale test.... If they are logging a lot and miss learning how to do this, you have a bigger more fundamental problem and accurate notes only allows them to sidestep the issue.

yep, still log my dives. Most important data i put there are those new marine life i saw and the people I dove with that day. :)

my logs look like this:

186 - 6/3 69 67
187 - 6/5 90 49
188 - 6/7 100 31
189 - 6/11 87 43 /* cleaning cove 2 boundary cable */
190 - 6/14 103 56 /* scooter run alki */
191 - 6/17 111 59 /* scooter run alki south line 3k */
192 - 6/18 117 49 /* scooter run north line, 3k */
193 - 6/25 89 12 /* bones runaway scooter */
194 - 6/25 89 78
195 - 7/6 81 40 /* landing craft */
196 - 7/6 68 41 /* PBM Mariner */
197 - 7/9 120 63 /* scooter run north line, 3k */
198 - 7/10 109 62
199 - 7/26 101 57 /* alki, cove 2, peo + rich */
200 - 8/8 84 34 /* scout in lk washington */
201 - 8/12 30 100 /* stage bottle workshop */

i keep notes on weighting, gear and skills elsewhere and i focus on marine life when i do dives with my camera and document it that way. if i dive someplace completely new where there's no known dive site reviews i'll take more extensive notes on when we dropped, what the current was like, etc.

Well I'm lazy so all I do is go by my computer's log. I will try to put in dive site info and equipment used. If they were technical dives, then I'll throw in mixes and tables used.

Oh and Gabriel, there a lots of dive sites in HK... But don't expect Sipidan quality... :wink: Just went diving yesterday with my club out from Sai Kung to a little outcrop near Rocky Beach. Could barely see my buddy at 18m and we both had 21W HID's! More interesting stuff in the 10M and shallower...

Logged everything (and I mean everything) for the first 350 dives or so. Copious notes, weighting, gas mix, conditions, buddy, thoughts, stuff I saw, etc.

Then I started doing 3 - 6 dives a week and it got too tiresome. I loosely track it on the computer. I "decided" to celebrate 500 last year sometime. I'm quickly closing in on 600. I think.

Who cares? I mean, after several hundred dives? Maybe if you're a journal person, and you're tracking your experiences, then rock on. I just don't have the time to dedicate another 10 - 15 minutes after each dive to write it all down. In a zillion boat dives all over the place (Belize, Hawaii, Florida, Washington, California, Mexico, etc.) I have never one time been asked to produce a log as evidence of experience.

I'm still learning something on every dive. I just don't feel compelled to write it down anymore.

I'd rather throw that time at screening and editing the pics I took on the dive.

---
Ken

sasscuba:
Logged the first 200 or so then lost interest and got lazy.

I think I got to 300 before getting lazy.

That said, I had to log my Advanced Nitrox and Rebreather course dives, but stopped as soon as the course was over.

I do count my dives though, it's nice to see a milestone come and go...

so FWIW, counting the weekend's dives with pakman, I'm at 1,045.

Edit - voted no, but I think "unnecessary" isn't quite accurate. I'll start logging again for trimix course...

I still log them, but my log has never been checked pre-dive - well, perhaps the DM in Egypt had a quick look - and some other DM's have looked through it out of curiosity when signing dives. However, I've often been asked how many dives I've done and when I did my most recent dive, or whether I have such and such experience. It's just that most resorts have been happy to take my word for it.

I'll probably stop logging at some point, but right now I "need" (using the word loosely) the proof for further classes and to eventually renew my GUE card/s.

I'm embarrased to say I keep a dive log in hard copy and also compile some of the basic info on Excel. Its kind of fun seeing who I've dove with over the years, what places I went, etc. It's also a great reference for proper weighting, depending upon my suit density, fresh vs salt water, etc.

scubabum2:
I'm embarrased to say I keep a dive log in hard copy and also compile some of the basic info on Excel. Its kind of fun seeing who I've dove with over the years, what places I went, etc. It's also a great reference for proper weighting, depending upon my suit density, fresh vs salt water, etc.

Rock on.

Seriously. My principal buddy has way over 500 dives and still logs ever single one in her log book. Good for you.

If I hadn't run out of pages one day a couple of years ago I probably still would be logging.

I think its swell you still log.

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom