Are you still diving over there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

munkispank:
ha ha ha ha, yeah- I know that feeling. These wonderful work permit/ resident permits we have to endure... 8 years and counting.....at this rate my passport will expire at the same time I am due to get a greencard- that'll be fun.

Good luck with you visa far_x, at least you can leave the country- I am US restricted at the moment. Have a crimbo pint for me :beer_yum:

I'll have three to make sure you enjoy them...LOL

How come you are restricted? Even when I was applying for my green card through my estranged wife, I was still able to leave the country on an advanced parole. The estrangedness is turning into divorce hence the reason for the emergency work visa which I was lucky to get as they all went within 6 days!!

Far_X:
How come you are restricted?
In my case, dont know about munkispank, i cant leave the country until i get a visa in my passport that allows me back in. My current one has expired and been renewed (on paper) so i can stay and work, but unless i go somewhere to get a new visa (London), i cant make any other trips abroad (out of US) as i wont be able to get back in - US-restricted travel until i get the money, time and patience to hit the UK and the US embassy, or of course i am dying to go to an exotic locale and need the visa, then i might have more of a spur to get moving on the new printed page in my passport. :wink:

simbrooks:
Sounds like a good plan to me, do you intend mailing off your passport to the UK to get a new passport in 2006 or making the trip and waiting for it? Make sure the parking ticket is on the inside and not stuck to the outside in a yellow envelope :wink:

Any news on you moving down this way yet? When i get my drysuit this winter i'll feel happier taking a trip back to blighty, just dont know quite when!

I was going to get one from the UK embassy in Washington DC. They will renew passports for $100 I think. Not too sure how much they cost in the UK now but it looked pretty expensive at that price.

I spoke with the CEO on Monday and I am in NY for another year. They are going to recruit a local person so I am going to have to train them etc. Once they are established, then there will be less need for me to stay up here.

I already have an offer to go diving off the NE coast when I get back to England so I am definitely going to do that. Got to be able to say I have dove (should we be saying "dived" if we are English?) back home!!! :wink:

simbrooks:
In my case, dont know about munkispank, i cant leave the country until i get a visa in my passport that allows me back in. My current one has expired and been renewed (on paper) so i can stay and work, but unless i go somewhere to get a new visa (London), i cant make any other trips abroad (out of US) as i wont be able to get back in - US-restricted travel until i get the money, time and patience to hit the UK and the US embassy, or of course i am dying to go to an exotic locale and need the visa, then i might have more of a spur to get moving on the new printed page in my passport. :wink:

Ah, I see. That's the same as me. I was beginning to think that maybe I would be resticted after I had got my visa stamped. I have got a trip over the Andes coming up which cost a bit and I don't want to miss that!!! LOL

I'll take $100 bucks in DC over a trip back and an extra week to wait for the Royal Mail and passport office to do its thing, or a trip up to Newport (i think) to get it renewed with an express fee, its only 50 quid, not much in the long run. Do you have to be in attendance to do that or can you do it by mail?

Not sure i would dive the NE coast, brrrrrrr, the south coast maybe, at least tepid water if not warm like here :wink:

simbrooks:
I'll take $100 bucks in DC over a trip back and an extra week to wait for the Royal Mail and passport office to do its thing, or a trip up to Newport (i think) to get it renewed with an express fee, its only 50 quid, not much in the long run. Do you have to be in attendance to do that or can you do it by mail?

Not sure i would dive the NE coast, brrrrrrr, the south coast maybe, at least tepid water if not warm like here :wink:

Check this, it tells you all you need about the passports: UK Embassy

I don't remember ANY water being tepid in the UK!!! :wink:

Far_X:
Check this, it tells you all you need about the passports: UK Embassy

I don't remember ANY water being tepid in the UK!!! :wink:
Thanks for the link, i remember days when i was on the beach in my shorts swimming in 16C water, that is tepid. I couldnt even begin looking at 61F water (16C) nowadays, 72F seems cold enough in the springs that i am getting a drysuit for it :wink:

simbrooks:
Thanks for the link, i remember days when i was on the beach in my shorts swimming in 16C water, that is tepid. I couldnt even begin looking at 61F water (16C) nowadays, 72F seems cold enough in the springs that i am getting a drysuit for it :wink:

No way, mate! I was in a 3mm for them thar springs :wink: Devil's Den, at night, was most pleasant in a 3mm. Of course for the longer Rainbow River drift, I wore a shorty on top and found out I was too bouyant!! Well, the snorkelling was great that day :wink:

All are 1+ hour dives, you get nippy with such "cold" water without appropriate insulation. I know people with "extra insulation" who do it in a shorty, i started out with a 3mm, but moved up to a 5mm and havent looked back, with the drysuit, i wont look back at all :wink:

We used to be in the water all the time in those temps back in Cornwall, 16C in the summer 8C in the winter. I used my 3mm shorty if i was going in for extended times, but shorts if it were a quick swim, in the summer and in the winter i moved up to my 3mm full suit or the 5mm i bought (and still use) that is now over 10 years old (might not be 5mm anymore, but its not due to diving except recently). I was a teen then, you have to remember i was more capable of withstanding the cold back then, now i have become a WWW :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom