• None of your darned business

Votes: 41 10.9%
  • Guess, you might just make my day

Votes: 22 5.9%
  • Shhh...Big Brother is watching!

Votes: 43 11.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course I'm armed. I'm a free man, not a slave.

"Fear the government that fears your guns."

I have a concealed permit but hate to carry. It's a complete change in mind set. I do a risk analysis, what are the chances of something happening.

It's a wrong approach but I live with it. A certain percentage of crime is statistical, if you go in that neighborhood at 1 am the odds are good that you will be robbed.

It's the random part that I have a hard time dealing with. Do I carry a gun all the time because something might happen. Walking around the neighborhood (low or no crime area) after dinner would be a good example.

Once you put a gun on, your mindset is, I'm going to kill someone if necessary. It's not at the front of your mind but it is background mental baggage on a pleasant evening walk

I know, banditos can come swooping down in the middle of my walk and ruin my life but the chances of that are pretty slim.

I just prefer to not carry most of the time.

I'll need to change my vote shortly....
Arranging a trade of unused gear in the next weeks... Planning on plinking w/ friends...
No real desire for concealed carry, but I signed up for a class next Tuesday as it I understood it eliminates most of the legal hassles associated w/ transport, and a good gun safety class can't be a bad thing...

I have a concealed permit but hate to carry. It's a complete change in mind set. I do a risk analysis, what are the chances of something happening.

It's a wrong approach but I live with it. A certain percentage of crime is statistical, if you go in that neighborhood at 1 am the odds are good that you will be robbed.

It's the random part that I have a hard time dealing with. Do I carry a gun all the time because something might happen. Walking around the neighborhood (low or no crime area) after dinner would be a good example.

Once you put a gun on, your mindset is, I'm going to kill someone if necessary. It's not at the front of your mind but it is background mental baggage on a pleasant evening walk

I know, banditos can come swooping down in the middle of my walk and ruin my life but the chances of that are pretty slim.

I just prefer to not carry most of the time.

Wow, I'm fascinated by what you said about mindset. I feel totally differently. I began carrying in October, and immediately got the feeling that in a certain respect, prior to that, I was not a fully self-actualized adult. Sad, considering I'm 33. Up until that time, I had not taken complete responsibility for something as basic as my personal safety. And I didn't even realize this. This was a real come uppance for me, since I'm a pretty introspective person and have always sought to know myself.

I feel it's pathetic that this kind of thing is the norm for so many in our society. It speaks so poorly of who we are as people. I honestly feel it's an embarassment in our culture that many adults are not permitted to grab the bull by the horns and control their own life, in part by becoming armed. They must remain in a childlike state where others must "protect" them, and where the important responsibilities in their life are the big people's job.

I was just posting the following in another SB thread, but it addresses what you are saying "humanbeing":

"Ultimately our protection in any and all situations is our own responsibility. About the best you can expect of the police anywhere is to respond, investigate, etc, AFTER an incident. Courts have held here in the US, that the police are not responsible for each citizen's safety, but the general protection of citizens as a whole. Not sure the exact terms they used.

My own safety, diving, driving, at home, or walking down any street in any city or town is my own responsibility, first and foremost. Safety of myself and my family means always being alert and aware of potential dangers, in any situation.

No DM, no law officer is going to be the one to pay the price if I am careless or not paying attention to the possible risks. This has always, and will always be true for each person, no matter where you are or what you are doing. When you abdicate the responsibility for your safety and welfare to another you are asking for trouble."

No, you're totally wrong! Only police, military, and government personnel should be allowed to have guns! Regular people are inherently dangerous and must be kept under tight controls!

LOL :rofl3:

Of course I agree with you in every respect. As a gay person, I'm no fan of some of what Ted Nugent has to say, but in this video, he hits the nail right on the head concerning guns:

YouTube - TEXAS MONTHLY TALKS - TED NUGENT

Wow, I'm fascinated by what you said about mindset. I feel totally differently. I began carrying in October, and immediately got the feeling that in a certain respect, prior to that, I was not a fully self-actualized adult. Sad, considering I'm 33. Up until that time, I had not taken complete responsibility for something as basic as my personal safety. And I didn't even realize this. This was a real come uppance for me, since I'm a pretty introspective person and have always sought to know myself.

I feel it's pathetic that this kind of thing is the norm for so many in our society. It speaks so poorly of who we are as people. I honestly feel it's an embarassment in our culture that many adults are not permitted to grab the bull by the horns and control their own life, in part by becoming armed. They must remain in a childlike state where others must "protect" them, and where the important responsibilities in their life are the big people's job.

It sounds like getting a gun was a real epiphany for you .

Absolutely. It's been one of the most instructive experiences I've had in recent years.

Read some stuff by Robert A Heinlein...you may be surprised that much of what you have written is an echo of what he wrote....

Back
Top Bottom