Are you a sharer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Communication level depends on who I am diving with. If they are fairly new or inexperienced I tend to observe them more closely; I usually put them just ahead of me in the dive so it's easy to watch them. If I'm diving with someone who is experienced I tend to be into my head with the music/thoughts overlapping the visuals (not quite zen but you get the point.)

Edit: As an afterthought it occurs to me that this may be why I enjoy a very slow steady pace. Enjoying the weightlessness and simply observing, waiting to see what pops out of a hole or swims over the coral head I'm behind. To be one with the sea ... :D

Last edited:
Sharer that loves to dive with another sharer!

Soloist.

Go down.

Take Photos

Upload to Facebook; that's when I share :D

I even like to dive with photographers; I love finding things for them and watching them take the shot.

very much a sharer in ow, more of a soloist in a cave. sharing is a bother in a cave - turning around and losing my zen can make me annoyed.

good topic, lynne, and wow on the insight from k (i presume) & p!

Sharer that loves to dive with another sharer!

I even like to dive with photographers; I love finding things for them and watching them take the shot.

Jax you'd fall asleep waiting for me to take the shot. My G11 is a labour of love. I haven't even added strobes yet!

I mostly dive in the local quarry and am really mutual solist there. I just want to "zen out" and slowly move around. However deep down in my soul I am a sharer. (Not much to share in the quarry :wink:

Sharer. My buddies are sons or close friends, so the entire dive experience from planning to cleanup is part of the fun. I still love to solo, but its a different type of dive.

What are you? Sharer, or mutual soloist?

I carry a camera, and that makes me a "sharer" whether or not I want to be.

As soon as my strobe fires, everyone else in my group (and any other nearby group) comes over to see what I'm doing.

Invariably I get kicked in the head repeatedly, my camera gets kicked, someone drops in and lands on top of me, and someone else with a camera swims right in front of me to shoot the same photo.

"Sharer." Ha. I'm looking forward to the day when they make a stealth strobe.

OK -- which am I? Certainly a bit of both. One of the things I absolutely love about diving IS the solitude -- nobody talking to me, no gravity planting me on the ground (OK, I know that gravity is there but YOU know what I mean), no cats demanding to be petted! -- just me and the damn bubbles -- AND knowing that my buddy is close because I can see her light which means I know she is fine.

IF I see something I think is worth sharing of course I'll share but the diving experience is for me alone -- that is what I'm not sharing. I have conversations with myself -- I "hear music and there's no one there" -- I get to feel just me -- and no, I don't share that, the internal part of the dive. The external part of the dive? Of course that is shared.

Does there sometime become a conflict between the two? Yes, and as TSandM is fond of pointing out, the three of us (TSandM, her favorite dive buddy and I) were on an extended deco stop at 20 feet on a wall in the Red Sea kicking our way back to the boat (a 30+ minute kick). We started out abreast but for whatever reason, they fell behind and I'll confess it took a LONG time for me to recognize they weren't there because I had gone almost totally internal and I was, in fact, no longer a teammate.

So, sharer -- internalizer -- both.

BTW, Dan -- There is little better than doing Linked GS turns while floating down a steep, fast, well groomed run -- but doing linked turns while floating down a steep, deep powder run.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom