• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Are you a photographer? Or, a diver who happens to have a camera.

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba' started by hedonist222, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Dan

Dan ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    And these:

Bob DBF and Keith Blair like this.
  2. NorCalDM

NorCalDM Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I'm a diver that no longer carries a camera. I found myself not using it because when I did I felt like I was spending all my time focusing on taking a shot and missing out on the dive. I feel like I see way more stuff now that I don't carry one, I take pictures with my mind now.

Bob DBF, Keith Blair and Lorenzoid like this.
  3. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Solo Diver

A diver with a camera. GoPro set for a picture every x# of seconds. See something that looks like it might be good, aim, try to hold steady for long enough that there are a couple of shots of it, go on with the dive. Most all of it is pure garbage to be deleted later. Don't let the camera rule the dive.

Keith Blair likes this.
  4. TMHeimer

TMHeimer Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I'm a diver who has a camera who has used it once, only in Panama. Nothing IMHO worth photographing in Nova Scotia (some will disagree).
    How do I feel after each dive? Tired. I'm 67.
    How do I feel before each dive....same.

hedonist222 likes this.
  5. Lorenzoid

Lorenzoid ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Ditto with me. I didn't find it relaxing--it was an added burden.

NorCalDM likes this.
  6. Dan

Dan ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    That’s the reason why I don’t carry a monster camera. Too much trouble. GoPro & Point-and-Shoot camera, as shown below, are good enough for me.

Part of the fun is actually editing the shots between dives, actually I should say; dive-nap-eat-edit picture-repeat during the how liveaboard trip.

8E7DED9B-40CE-4E20-9A48-8A06E6606F19.jpeg

7. MaxBottomtime

MaxBottomtime Divemaster

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I'm a diver who takes a large DSLR rig on every dive. My primary purpose during a dive is to get the best photographs I can that show the life of that particular reef/wreck. I don't always get good photos, but I still try. Even when conditions are bad, I usually surface with some excitement of a new find or an expectation of a decent photo.

Photography changed my diving. I'm perfectly content spending 90 minutes or more in an area smaller than most apartments I've lived in.

Wathdoc, Esprise Me and Bob DBF like this.
  8. BoundForElsewhere

BoundForElsewhere Are we there yet? ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I'm such a bad photographer I might as well be waving around a rock, but I try.

I feel amazing after every dive. Right after I pee and burp.

9. CanadaDan

CanadaDan DMC ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    SLOW CLAP for this… damn. Seriously well said.

10. Skeptic14

Skeptic14 Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I'm a diver that takes a camera, albeit photography is a big part of my diving.

I think uw photography improved my diving experience. I'm naturally type-A and underwater that resulted initially in a lot of swimming here and there actively pursuing something that caught my attention. The camera helped me to slow down and see what was in close proximity first and maybe worth trying to photograph depending on the circumstances.

Also, looking at and editing my photos helps extend the diving experience. Instead of cramming as many dives in a day I prefer to dive in the morning, look at and edit photos in the afternoon, see what worked, what didn't and repeat the next day.

MaxBottomtime likes this.