Are you a good Instructor/DM/Guide/Buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suzuki

Registered
Reaction score
Hi newbie here..and just want to find out what makes us a good buddy:05:

20 dives pa lang ang experience ko sa Philippine Paradise ..mainly Anilao and Cebu.

Anilao dives were unreal!!!...I have never seen so much underwater life and colours in one spot:07:
Cebu's wall dives were great too...
We usually don't dive with DM's here in Melbourne because it will cost you 60$ a dive...hehehe
.....but from my experience sa Cebu
nakakaasaR ang guide na won't keep up with you , as in ang bagal sa ilalim ng tubig.

Im not a dive pro...but I usually keep up with my buddies...or slow down when diving with a newbie.

so what makes a good buddy for you?:D

a good buddy doesn't get low on air immediately so that it doesn't interrupt your dive. :D oh wait a minute . . . that could be me! hehehe

A good dive buddy in my liking, given it's not someone with whom one dives regularly, is one who will plan the dive, establish a method of basic communication beyond "OUT OF AIR", do a good buddy check, keep buddy contact during the dive and dive the dive plan.

the K

A good dive buddy is in sync with other divers. They are responsible, discuss the dive plan, follow the dive plan, and stick with agreed upon procedures (like seperation procedures) if the plan falls apart. They are also very aware of their buddy. Most instructors I've dove with (Brent from DeepBlue comes to mind) were aware of my remaining air without even asking. I was surprised when he knew how much I surfaced with when we were diving the Benwood because we were hardly on top of one another. Good buddies constantly monitoring whom they are diving with.

My best dive buddy to date has been my Cuz, whom I did 10 dives together with in the Keys. We both like reefs, both carry camera's, both can get 90 minutes out of an AL80 (overkill on a 60 minute dive :D ), and we stay together. It helps to have a buddy who has similar goals and pace. While I'm newer, and she has been diving since the 70's. We had a great time together, and she is almost like my diving soul mate :10:

We did not realize how easy it was to dive together until the DM asked to assign us a newbie who was single. That turned into a real problem with a diver who was so overwhelmed by the whole UW experience that he just hung above us drifting away from the dive site (in current) completely oblivious to our constant signals to follow us, and asking if he was OK. He completely ignored the DM's discussion of the plan, the captains discussion of current and boat orientation, and our further discussion of what to do upon decending. This guy was just not all there, and on vacation, my dives are rather precious and expensive to waste time with that type of diver.

In any event, I think other attributes of a good buddy is comfort UW, experience, training, and the ability to stay calm if things go wrong. I have no idea how well I'd do if a real emergancy came about, but I am continuing with training, and I try and be a good buddy!!

A good buddy picks up the tab! Hehehe ;-)

mitchamurao:
A good buddy picks up the tab! Hehehe ;-)

agreed, or one who doesnt dissapear when the tab is presented.

anyway a good dive buddy is someone who is always aware of his/her buddies position, and is always on top of the situation. good planner and executor. always has situational awareness.

right :wink:

Spoon:
agreed, or one who doesnt dissapear when the tab is presented.

anyway a good dive buddy is someone who is always aware of his/her buddies position, and is always on top of the situation. good planner and executor. always has situational awareness.

The best buddy is someone whose presence you enjoy above or below water.

Someone who communicates with out being obtrusive

Who gets a kick out of the same things you do

Who sees the things you miss and appreciates the things you find

Who is not there when you don't need him, but is always there when you do

Who doesn't keep trying to show me Lionfishes.

Still looking...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom