Are we charging enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neil,

As you say, I do not consider entry-level scuba instruction a “real vocation.” Before you get upset again let me explain why. It’s a function of supply and demand. As others have said you could “get an instructors cert in about 2 months of training,” and lets face it, it would be a cool job. If I could get paid half as much as a do now, after a year of intensive training that cost me $25,000, I’d sign up tomorrow. But in reality there are a lot of people willing to provide the training as a hobby.

I would like to explain what I meant when I said the concept of teaching for the money makes me nervous. There are ongoing discussions on this board and others, on how the commercialization of certification agencies are resulting in watered down standards. Well, are not professional instructors a commercialization of the industry? Who is more inclined to compromise standards, someone that instructs part time because they love to be around the water and the infectious enthusiasm of newbies, or someone that is counting on the income to feed their family?

It all comes down to supply and demand. If you have chosen a career as a scuba instructor I wish you the best of luck, but I think you’re in for a tough road. When I decided to go to school I wanted nothing more than to be a professional back packing guide, but hey it just doesn’t pay. Reality settled in and I selected a job that in the end paid well because of the limited number of people that have the ability and even fewer that are willing to go through what it took to get here.

And I submit to you, if you needed four-year degree in SCUBAology before you could be a scuba instructor, would you do it? If so I salute you. I suspect there’d be a lot fewer instructors and they’d be better paid!

Again, if I’ve insulted you it was not intentional or mean spirited.

Peace,
Mike

Originally posted by MikeS
Neil,
I would like to explain what I meant when I said the concept of teaching for the money makes me nervous. There are ongoing discussions on this board and others, on how the commercialization of certification agencies are resulting in watered down standards. Well, are not professional instructors a commercialization of the industry? Who is more inclined to compromise standards, someone that instructs part time because they love to be around the water and the infectious enthusiasm of newbies, or someone that is counting on the income to feed their family?

Mike,
First of all, I'm not really insulted. This board is all about civil discussions. Now on to ripping apart the above quote! :)
If just being paid for something makes someone inclined to compromise standards, then we are all in trouble. Apply that philosophy to what YOU do. Or doctors, and lawyers, and plumbers, oh my!

What REALLY burns my butt is that I KNOW, because I think I do it :wink: (and have seen it in many others), that scuba instruction can be done at a very high level of competence and professionalism. Most people don't see this because they take one course with one of those 2 month wonders and never learn any better. (This is a whole other discussion, as you can imagine.) The level I'm talking about can't be achieved in 2 months. (Yeah, I know what real training is; I have a couple of degrees from a prestigious music school in my closet somewhere; they don't GIVE those away.)

I think your disdain of scuba instruction as a profession is partly understandable, give what's out there today, but be assured that there are some who are exceptional (some on this board, for sure). They will take your money AND teach you competently. Pay them what they are worth. I hope your tech training is rewarding.

Neil

Back
Top Bottom