Are we as divers, doing enough to curb the issue of lionfish in the atlantic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rusty Roo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm curious as i've only ever dived st Lucia in this part in the world. this was my first diving trip abroad and was the reason i did my padi open water, but i didn't understand the lionfish issue and to be honest don't recall seeing many lionfish. but i ask, as i see there are events such as the derby to catch lionfish etc. should every dive require (not by law but as good practice) you to remove a lionfish if seen? i would liken it to my philosophy of removing plastic bags from the sea on a dive. could it or in fact, should it become just one of things that you don't even think about doing, it's just done?

i'm not saying all divers should as it may lead to accidents with people who are relatively new to diving. But as soon as you are capable, should you?

i think that the divers that are capable and willing are already doing it when possible. it isn't always possible or safe even when you're experienced in lionfish removal. i saw dozens the other day that I was helpless to do anything about because it was a drift dive in high current and they were all hanging out around 130 feet.

also, even though divers have done a great job keeping them in check in some areas, you don't want to see what's going on past those depths

There's not much you can do, really. Lionfish are prodigiously reproductive ... something like a half-million eggs per adult per year. They have no natural predators on this side of the planet. In their natural environment, they aren't kept in check by predators eating lionfish ... they're kept in check by predators eating lionfish eggs. Until nature adapts and finds a balance ... which it will, eventually ... everything we can do as divers amounts to less than a drop in a swimming pool ... because we can't even get to about 99.99999% of the habitat where these creatures are reproducing.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I carry a spear wherever I go... doing my little part.

... which may, ultimately, teach other predators to associate divers with lunch ... which would have its own set of consequences ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I carry a spear wherever I go... doing my little part.
NWGratefulDiver:
which may, ultimately, teach other predators to associate divers with lunch ... which would have its own set of consequences ...
Bob, you're a cynic. :)

Unfortunately, you make some good points about the lionfish population, and problem.
NWGratefulDiver:
everything we can do as divers amounts to less than a drop in a swimming pool ... because we can't even get to about 99.99999% of the habitat where these creatures are reproducing.
A recent study (to the dismay of many) pointed this out. If you look at depths beyond recreational limits, where fewer divers ever go, the lionfish are incredibly abundant. We can shoot all we want in to 20-130 foot range, but there is a huge population lurking in the depths below that, feeding and breeding. I don't know that we are doing any harm by killing every single lionfish we see on tropical reefs. But, I am not longer in any way optimistic that we are substantively affecting the population. Maybe, by decreasing the population on shallower reefs, we are doing some good. It seemed to me this year that Bonaire reefs have fewer lionfish than last year (could be my imagination, though). I watched DMs and others in Dominica spear every last one they could find on every dive, during a trip there in June. Maybe, massive lionfish kills are one answer to world hunger. :)

But, to see the enormity of the problem, all you have to do is dive a bit deeper. I made a trip to the EM Clark last June, off the NC coast, sitting on the bottom at ~245 feet. It was CRAWLING with lionfish, presumably because very few divers visit the wreck, and even if they do, they are concerned with taking pictures, with exploration, and with gas supplies which limit bottom time. Who wants to spend ~$100 on helium to kill 5 lionfish?

As for me, I am happy to kill every one I can on shallow dives, where appropriate - I am not teaching, or do not have a specific mission. But, I am under no illusion any longer that I am making any headway.

Last edited:
There's not much you can do, really. Lionfish are prodigiously reproductive ... something like a half-million eggs per adult per year. They have no natural predators on this side of the planet. In their natural environment, they aren't kept in check by predators eating lionfish ... they're kept in check by predators eating lionfish eggs. Until nature adapts and finds a balance ... which it will, eventually ... everything we can do as divers amounts to less than a drop in a swimming pool ... because we can't even get to about 99.99999% of the habitat where these creatures are reproducing.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well stated and worth reading again. In theory, the most effective thing humans could do is encourage development of a Lionfish fishery. In reality, that would likely result in far more physical damage to reefs. Other predators will develop when Lionfish reduce other food sources enough that they are hungry. I am sure their eggs already contribute to the food chain.

I recently saw a NC dive shop advertising lion fish on their dives as if it was a good thing. Lots of pretty pictures on the website and listed as one of the tropical fish you're likely to see. I found this strange, since most serious divers realize how devastating lion fish are when not in their natural habitat.
Unfortunately, as Colliam 7 says, there isn't a lot we can do, since they live and reproduce at such deep depths. Until somebody comes up with a better answer, we will continue to see them spread and damage native populations.
They are very pretty and good to eat so I guess it's not ALL bad. But,regulating or insisting that all divers kill them is not a good answer,or even safe, since killing lion fish can have its risks.

it's amazing that we can decimate nearly every other fishery and this one is giving us such a hard time

There isn't a sufficient commercial demand.

If McDonalds added a McLionFish Filet to it's dollar menu, and Friskies had "Lionfish Flavored Cat Food" you would see their number drop quickly.

A few divers stabbing a few lionfish might make you feel better, but won't really make a difference.

flots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom