Are trim pockets dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajcyang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Considering if you place them next to the tank on backmount. If ever you want to ditch them, you can't reach it.

thoughts?

I mean this in a DIR sense. Should one use it? or just keep it on weight belt/quick release?

Do a search for 'balanced rig'. If you have a balanced rig, and you don't need ditch-able weight, then they're fine.

Do a search for 'balanced rig'. If you have a balanced rig, and you don't need ditch-able weight, then they're fine.

I'd love you see you develop a balanced rig diving a drysuit in cold water. . .

I'm carrying 24 lbs of lead (plus a SS backplate and a HP120 tank). And 10 lbs can be quickly dropped (just-in-case)

As AJ said, balance rig is the key. You should not need to ditch weight at depth. On surface tho, if I am diving wet, a couple of lb of ditchable weight is a good idea.

Last edited:
I'd love you see you develop a balanced rig diving a drysuit in cold water. . .

I'm carrying 24 lbs of lead (plus a SS backplate and a HP120 tank). And 10 lbs can be quickly dropped (just-in-case)

i can swim my twinset (steel 12L) from depth with a failed wing.

If you need ditch-able weight, you need it. With a steel 120, the buoyancy chart puts them at something around -10lbs. 10lbs is roughly what people are capable of swimming up, so having a little ditch-able in your case is probably a reasonable thing.

Everyone is different though. The weight of the gas in a full set of double 104s is like 24lbs (air, nitrox is similar). I can't swim that up, and I know that. However, I can get neutral by putting a tad of gas into my drysuit and I can totally control everything. Also trimix helps :) *cough cough 30/30 cough cough*

When I used trim pockets, I turned them backwards so the flaps were "buried" under the tank straps. I didn't want an accidental weight release.

Personally I started with 8lbs on 2 pockets. Overtime I shedded a few more pounds and switched to a steel tank. I can now dive year round without any additional weight and always be able to swim it up.

If you can swim the rig up with a wing failure, you can get to the surface. If you can get to the surface, you can orally inflate. If the wing absolutely won't hold air, and your rig is too negative for you to stay at the surface, you need redundant buoyancy, i.e. a dry suit.

The only situation I can think of where you couldn't establish positive buoyancy at the surface would be to be out of gas AND have a torn wing, and we don't plan for simultaneous major failures like that.

Cannot orally inflate if the elbow comes off.

Yes, and if you can't stay at the surface in that case, you need redundant buoyancy or ditchable weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom