Are these lights worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggiebq86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've got the chance to buy a couple of UK1200 Halogens and UK SL4 lights. They are in good shape at first glance. I'll be trying them out next weekend to see how well they work at depth. I'm just a recreational diver that will be using them for night dive in the Caribbean and shallow fresh water dives. My biggest concern is replacement bulbs and other parts.

If I buy them, how much are they worth?

I like the SL4 as a good backup light. It is small, flat and fits nicely in the pocket of most BCDs.

I used to have an SL4 and agree it can fit nicely in a pocket, and was a nice little light in it's time. The UK1200 was a perfectly fine light, but it's rather bulky to travel with, not to mention the weight of all those D batteries.

Personally I wouldn't buy any halogen light now, as I think LED is so much superior at this point in brightness, color, and battery life. You should be able to find used halogens cheap as I think many people have upgraded, and for some people it might make sense to pick up a deal on them. But if you dive enough, your savings will eventually be eaten up by all the batteries you have to feed them, unless you can use rechargeable batteries. So I think they're only worth buying if you don't use them much, or they're dirt cheap and you don't plan on them as a long term solution.

As far as the SL4 as a handy backup, I agree except for one thing - in the Caribbean, you may find that you also like to use a small light during the day to look in holes and under ledges. If you do much of that, you now have a backup with batteries that are rundown, unless you bring enough batteries and swap them out. And most small bright LED lights will be better at the "peeking in holes in the daytime" task.

Thanks Damselfish. I was planning on taking the SL4 for vacation. The 1200 would be for more local diving. I hadn't thought about the cost of D cells.

Pick up the SL4 cheap and replace the bulb with an LED drop in. Search on this Board to see how. Cheap and easy

Care to elaborate? Why are they a waste of money? Would they be worth $10-15 each?

I just tell what Damselfish tell in long way . Clasic bulb is simply OUT.
( maybe in canister test tube light I still like simplicity of halogen bulb) For possibility to sell that lights seller should drop price .

Batteries a actually no problem - could buy rechargable NiMH are a bit heavy but it have almost same stored energy inside LIPos ( have higher voltage but less amps ) , NiMH (have less voltage but higher amps )

Question whay you need more that lights ?

- You suspect problems with them to switch between them?
- Running diving center ?

IMO : one good light is worth more than dozen bad :D

and something DORCY , PIRANHA PENETRATER ... SCUBAPRO NOVA , is I think good choice on yours part of world ;-)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW: drop-in you should know well what is right choice - problem is plastic housing

I've got the chance to buy a couple of UK1200 Halogens and UK SL4 lights. They are in good shape at first glance. I'll be trying them out next weekend to see how well they work at depth. I'm just a recreational diver that will be using them for night dive in the Caribbean and shallow fresh water dives. My biggest concern is replacement bulbs and other parts.

If I buy them, how much are they worth?

In Travis, you will get about an arms length's of illumination out of either of them.

I have a pair of Intova lights that will run circles around them @ $35 each. I will bring them to the camp out Friday night. Better still I will bring all my lights out so you can see the differences.

How much are they worth? My first stop would be Buy scuba gear, scuba diving and snorkeling equipment, and everything underwater from LeisurePro.com to see what they cost new. 1/3 to 1/2 of LP's price is not a bad yardstick. Then I would check the completed listings on Ebay and see what the seller got for them. Off the top of my head, $15 each isn't bad, but I don't think you will be happy with them.

Last edited:
The problem on a night dive will be whatever light your buddy has will make yours seem like they are not turned on :)

Back
Top Bottom