Are there DIR fins out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billyh

Reaction score
Trying to find any info/opinions/dictums regarding DIR-compliant fins. The "ancient" ScubaPro Jet fins and Turtles sure show up a lot around here, but I am wondering if there is a more "modern" alternative to consider.

Thanks for the guidance. . .

as far as i know, Jetfins are the shizzle

What else would you want a modern fin to have that Jet's don't? Other than a better foot-pocket and day-glo colors of course. :D

#1 most obvious "new product worth developing" in my mind. The DIR diver wants a fin that maximizes the efficiency of the 4 main kicks DIR employs: Frog, modified Frog, Flutter & Back kick.

Surely, in the nearly 40 years since the Jet Fin was first designed, it should be possible to design a better, more comfortable fin. Such a fin should also be built with spring heels, not straps. Clearly there's a definable market for such a fin - much more definable than "another fin for tropical divers who can't tell one fin from the next".

I suspect that if such a fin were developed, if it actually was demonstrably better, that it would generate substantial sales. Many jet fin owners haven't bought a "new" fin in years, and are unlikely to do so any time soon given the ability to get jet fins on eBay and through local connections. The size of the DIR market (or of divers who want DIR capabilities in their fins) is much larger than the commercial sales rates would suggest.

You used to be able to get them in pale blue and pink (Scubapro Japan) - I've seen the blue ones and they seemed to be made from a softer rubber compound.

Vie:
You used to be able to get them in pale blue and pink (Scubapro Japan) - I've seen the blue ones and they seemed to be made from a softer rubber compound.
You're right, Vie
They have them in one or two goofy colors here.

I'm happy to get them for anyone interested...:wink: LOL

Reinoud:
I've seen some yellow ones on the BOOT Dusseldorf fair

Are you going to go buy me a pair of those RIGHT NOW? ... Please?? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom