Are springs an advantage with open heeled fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Was wondering what the opinions are regarding open heel fins with springs versus the usual rubber "bands"? Used with dive boots.

Are they easier to pull off when boarding a boat? Do they have a tendency to be less secure while diving? I am a warm water diver and am cavern certified. Would the springs be less of an entanglement hazard?

Would like to hear pros and cons.

Thanks,

Sy

I'm very happy with mine. I had back surgery in 2000, so I usually looked like a crazed octopus on pcp getting my fins off. The switch to springs solved alot of problems for me. Mine have a loop like a boot strap you can grab as well.

Hope this helps.

Regular straps on fins are a pain. I bought Innovative Spring Straps for my first set, then bought a pair of XS Scuba.

Best upgrade that I've made. Also, Wayward Son makes them for a good price, as well. Get the ones that don't have the loop on the back, if you are concerned about entanglements.

Love my springs -- they don't break, aren't a hassle to put on or take off, do stay on nicely (that's why they make the different sizes -- I tried mine on in my LDS, with the fins, to make sure I had the right size).

sytech:
Was wondering what the opinions are regarding open heel fins with springs versus the usual rubber "bands"? Used with dive boots.

Are they easier to pull off when boarding a boat? Do they have a tendency to be less secure while diving? I am a warm water diver and am cavern certified. Would the springs be less of an entanglement hazard?

Would like to hear pros and cons.

Thanks,

Sy

My daughter needed a new set of fins and we decided to get her a pair of Atomic split fins. The only ones in stock for her size was the Smoke on Water edition that came with the Atomic Spring straps.

We decided to take the straps from my Atomic Liquid Blues and put them in her new fins and put the Atomic Spring straps on my fins.

I have used them for about 15 dives and love them. They have 3 adjustment settings. Once you get the correct adjustment setting you never have to mess with them again.

The spring straps make it much easier to put the fins on and take them off in the water.

The straps have a a solid round loop that you put your finger into when taking the fins on or off.

I am not a cavern diver so I can't comment on the entanglement question relative to cavern diving.

They are easier to put on. They are easier to take off. They don't break as easily as the plastic clips on the regular straps. They hold beautifully and adjust to different footgear quite a bit. Spring straps were my first upgrade in my gear after my initial purchases, because from the first time I saw them, I knew this was a better way.

They are also less of an entanglement hazard -- it's hard for line to find anything to hold onto with spring straps!

I have Innovative springs on my Apollo Bios, and it's one of the best equipment upgrades I've ever made (for $21). I chose Innovative instead of Apollos, because 1-they are 1/3 the price of Apollo springs, and 2-they don't require permanent modification to the fin (cutting off the nub).

The springs make donning/doffing *much* simpler (and when you're bouncing in a typical Keys' surf, trying to get them off to hand up to the boat, it makes a *big* difference). Additionally, there is no constant adjustment.

sytech:
Are they easier to pull off when boarding a boat?
Yes
sytech:
Do they have a tendency to be less secure while diving?
No
sytech:
Would the springs be less of an entanglement hazard?
Not sure if that's an advantage but it is certainly less likely to break on you when you actually go into the cave.

Can't really think of any cons.

Thanks,

Sy[/QUOTE]

I bought some new Scubapro Max Twin Jets for my wife recently. Haven't made springs for them yet, but we did a nite dive at Morrison spring friday. After she got out I swapped fins so I could try these out.

I couldn't believe what an unmitigated pain in the **** regular straps are compared to springs. No question, I'm going to have to make a set for her.

The only real downside is that you have to pay for them, but I think they're more than worth it.

Love my springs. I used to lose a fin on just about every dive until I got the Atomic Smoke Springs. I have not lost a fin since and they are super easy to put on, even when doing shore dives. They are soooo much easier to slip off when trying to board a boat as well. Get the fins. You won't regret it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom