Are resort DM's really that reckless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well first of all I cannot believe I got sucked in again.
Its like a drug isn't it?:D
But the bottom line is, nothing anybody says is going to convince me that the DM should hold zero responsibility.
You have been very clear about that. I admire your consistency, at this point we simply agree to disagree. Unless someone is forcing you, then the choice is yours. So are is the responsibility.
As I said many posts ago, I am glad this post went up because it hopefully taught many at least something. I learned that I will never trust a DM with my loved ones unless they believe they share the responsibility of a diver's safe return. Not to say that is right, but I just will not trust my loved ones (if I have a say that is) with someone who just does not care.
Again, Steve, who said anything about not caring? I challenge anyone to find me a DM that when faced with an emergency would not try to the limit of their ability to help a diver out. In fact, knife weilding air mongers aside, show me a diver who would turn their backs on someone with a problem. But that does not equate to babysitting. If a diver needs babysitting, they should stay on the dock.

Not feeling/being responsible for someone's safety and not caring about someone's safety are two entirely different things.

Are DM's reckless? - No, usually not
Do DM's know what they're doing? - No, usually not.
Should you trust a DM with your life? - No, usually not

Here are the better questions...
Are you reckless?
Do you know what you're doing?
Should you trust yourself with your life?

The single biggest thing I believe in getting across to my students is this - the only person who is responsible for you underwater - is YOU. Being independent is the most important thing you can learn in diving... even within the buddy system. If one of the two buddies is dependent on the other - then neither is safe. Two independent buddies diving together - that is a different story.

Its like a drug isn't it?:D
I challenge anyone to find me a DM that when faced with an emergency would not try to the limit of their ability to help a diver out. In fact, knife weilding air mongers aside, show me a diver who would turn their backs on someone with a problem. But that does not equate to babysitting. If a diver needs babysitting, they should stay on the dock.

I hate to say this... but I've seen plenty of people over the years fail to react to an emergency situation... either out of shear stupidity or being overcome by fear or a simple unwillingness - in most cases I was unsure what went through the failing parties mind... but one thing is for sure... there are many who will not be reliable in a true emergency. Babysitting aside, as a SOLO diver, an Instructor and just as Joe Diver, I am very particular about who I dive with... because I know I will act in an emergency - and I want to know that the person I'm diving with will do the same.

I hate to say this... but I've seen plenty of people over the years fail to react to an emergency situation... either out of shear stupidity or being overcome by fear or a simple unwillingness - in most cases I was unsure what went through the failing parties mind... but one thing is for sure... there are many who will not be reliable in a true emergency. Babysitting aside, as a SOLO diver, an Instructor and just as Joe Diver, I am very particular about who I dive with... because I know I will act in an emergency - and I want to know that the person I'm diving with will do the same.

True, some people are just not cut out for dealing with emergencies, or are not prepared for what they look like. But still, that is a far cry from saying they will not because they don't care, IMO.

No, they should know enough to realise what they AREN'T capable or comfortable of. And constantly be assessing that every minute of every dive to avoid a bad situation.

No it doesn't. Yet again you're confusing recommendations for rules. It says you shouldn't do it without training. However at the end of the day if you want to you can. There are no police, no locked doors, if you think you are comfortable doing it after weighing up the risks you can do whatever you like.
And you're confusing the word "forbid" for "illegal" or "impossible". Look at the meaning of the word "forbid". It has nothing to do with police or locked doors. From Oxford (http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/forbid?view=uk): forbid:1 refuse to allow. 2 order not to do.

From PADI's OW book "until you have thye training and equipment you need do not enter a cavern, cave, wreck or any other overhead environment". They never say it's enforcable, but they are forbidding you to do it.

I havent met a single diver in my life that hasn't broken some/many/all of his training guidelines at some point in their life. If there are millions of these "perfect" divers around ive never met one of them.
Where did I talk about perfect divers? I'm talking about your point that people should know what they're capable of while also saying their training is incorrect. I'd love it if I had some sort of Spider-Sense or something where I just knew if something was a good or bad idea, but it takes more than that. And so far the only thing I've learned about overhead environments is that they are unsafe if not trained. If that is incorrect, then really I have nothing to go by to decide underwater if I should follow your or not.

Maybe after researching a bit more I realize that I would be safe, but at this point all I know is what I've been taught, and if that is incorrect, I am in no position to make a decision.

That's a personal view and nothing more. If you arent confident in your buddys skills and equally arent confident in your own skills to get your buddy out then dont do it. Its common sense. Not every diver is incapable of self or other rescue though.

You may think you do but you dont. Also a guide has to represent the whole group not one individual. Chances are every other person in that group would have wanted that dive so who do you please - the majority or the 1 guy that isnt skilled enough and who didnt tell you beforehand?
It's not about confidence. I may be entirely confident that I could successfully take an OW trained diver to 100 feet if I'm AOW certified. But I still probably wouldn't do it, at the very least I wouldn't encourage it. If I explained to my buddy that this probably isn't a great idea and he insists, then maybe we go to 100 feet.

Just like I probably figure I could take a non-trained diver with me and we'd probably be safe. I may be entirely confident in this, the other person may be entirely confident in me. But instead of doing this, I'll say "take an OW course"

You can't "unexpectedly" find yourself in an overhead. Nobody forces you in kicking and screaming. As to why dive briefings dont always work - its usually because the divers themselves pay little or no attention to them, are fiddling with kit, talking to the person next to them or thinking they've heard it all before so wont bother. That also isnt the divemasters fault.
I was talking about unexpectedly finding yourself in a position where you need to decide to break away from the group or enter an overhead.

And yes, of course if divers don't listen to the brief there is some/all the responsibility on their shoulders (depending on the exact situation).

If the DM is leading the dive, it's his job to take his group to places that they're qualified for and not take them to places they're not.

This isn't optional, unless he's acting in some other capacity than PADI DM. It's in the class materials.

This doesn't mean that everybody needs or wants nannying or that you need to dive with a DM or that you can't dive in caves, sink-holes, or anyplace else that makes you happy. It only means that if you're diving with a DM you have the right to expect that you won't be going anyplace where your training/experience/equipment is insufficient.

Terry

If the DM is leading the dive, it's his job to take his group to places that they're qualified for and not take them to places they're not.

This isn't optional, unless he's acting in some other capacity than PADI DM. It's in the class materials.

This doesn't mean that everybody needs or wants nannying or that you need to dive with a DM or that you can't dive in caves, sink-holes, or anyplace else that makes you happy. It only means that if you're diving with a DM you have the right to expect that you won't be going anyplace where your training/experience/equipment is insufficient.

Terry

God bless you Terry for understanding the real issue here but this is a no win conversation. There are just two very different schools of thought at play. I think it is obvious that the minds are made up.

And FYI to the others, I relate being responsible (IMO) to caring, and being irresponsible (IMO) to not caring. So, this I am set with as well.....no changing.

God speed and good luck to us all. May we all have the good sense to leave the DM to perish in the cave while we enjoy our reef dive. And remember, if you have to leave your DM behind, do not tip.

I was talking about unexpectedly finding yourself in a position where you need to decide to break away from the group or enter an overhead.

... and this is different from any other "unexpected decisions" one may have to make during their dive???

The question here is not whether the diver is prepared for an overhead environment... the QUESTION is whether the diver is prepared to act in any capacity in thier own best interests...

Scenerio: Same new diver. As we all know, new divers have a tendancy to consume air faster. New diver finds they're nearing the 'turn around' gas level long before the rest of the more experienced divers in the group. What do they do?

Answer: Get the DM's attention... show low air... turn around.

Answer to overhead problem: Get DM's attention... point to overhead... shake head... turn around.

Where's the problem here?

... and this is different from any other "unexpected decisions" one may have to make during their dive???

The question here is not whether the diver is prepared for an overhead environment... the QUESTION is whether the diver is prepared to act in any capacity in thier own best interests...

Scenerio: Same new diver. As we all know, new divers have a tendancy to consume air faster. New diver finds they're nearing the 'turn around' gas level long before the rest of the more experienced divers in the group. What do they do?

Answer: Get the DM's attention... show low air... turn around.

Answer to overhead problem: Get DM's attention... point to overhead... shake head... turn around.

Where's the problem here?

Those 2 situations are a bit different because in the case of air you know if you run out it's definitely an emergency situation. I do think divers may go a little longer than they should but eventually most are going to say something. However, entering an overhead environment is fine if you know what you're doing (whereas running out of air is a problem no matter how experienced you are) and you're most likely going to be fine, so it's a little harder to speak up in that situation. Also, the DM has no real way ahead of time to know your consumption rate, and while a DM can ask the divers how their air is doing, it's unrealistic to think a divemaster could check everyone's gauges for them.

Basically the big difference is that the decision to abort when you're about to run out of air is pretty black and white, deciding to enter an overhead environment is much more of a grey-area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom