Are Rescue Skills really needed by the average diver.... ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

instructors DO NOT put up barriers they follow standards that then stops them being sued!!!
the way the programs are run is so you have the opertunity to grow in experience and confidence just because you do the aow course DOES NOT make you a ADVANCED diver ! lol if you want to be hand held all the way thats fine too each to there own!

If the instructors in her area are requiring AOW as a prerequisite for rescue then they ARE putting up barriers, that is not the PADI standard.

then the shop or instructors need to be reported to padi

I agree with Bob's comment about self awareness.
But another big reason to take rescue is situational awareness.

Herman and I were diving oil slick one day and were waiting on the couple in front of us to go up the ladder.
I was thinking to myself - idiots get out already.
Herman was thinking these guys are in serious trouble and we need to help them.

Turns out that they were in serious trouble (I was wrong) - I signed up for the rescue class as soon as we returned home.....

Gizmo, think maybe you missed the "reflective" reason for the thread, vs you thinking I'm too stupid for even asking something like this as an IDC Staff.

I did not imply that Rescue or Rescue skills should not be taught, but gave simple examples why all divers should seek to be the best prepared divers they can be...

If any diver did not get taught Rescue skills because of agency differences or has not taken the Rescue course again because of the same..... What ever reason...

I fully suggest, recommend, imply, encourage, push, shove or whatever word you wish insert here....

that they do so.

I've fully enjoyed and do hope that "lots of new and/or continuing divers read this thread (that's why I posted it here and not in the AdvOW section below)

if some reader thinks this is just marketing attempt at trying to just sell another course... Ok so be it.

Taking a fun and enlighten course, or part of a course, like Rescue will repay a diver many times over in hopefully unseen or unneeded ways during their Scuba adventures of their lifetime...

maybe a reader will say, "hey I don't know the skills being discussed here"..... And I want those skills and that knowledge and Go Them !

well guess I'm pretty dumb then....

A student can take the PADI course with as few as three dives after their cert dives, it appears that SEI requires more waiting.

Three dives as part of a course you have to PAY for and can't be just fun dives. Once students are done with the SEI ow course they have done panicked diver at the surface, unconscious diver from depth, supporting a diver at the surface and helping them get positive, and towing while stripping gear. In the OW course the instructor may also require additional skills if he/she feels they are necessary for local conditions as part of the certification requirements. No extra money required and no instructor supervision on the dives following between OW and the rescue class.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

This article really brings it home: Man dies while scuba diving Dutch Springs - mcall.com

A man died today, even with Rescue certified divers present. If only OW divers were available, I'm sure the outcome would have been the same, but it reminds you that it could happen anywhere, anytime.

Wow, Ill be there tomorrow.....was scheduled to go today and meet up with some random guy but had to cancel on Friday.. ......makes you wonder.....I need to look at my emails and see what the guys name was.....

Every diver needs rescue skills, CPR and basic first aid.

Certainly, these are all good skills to have, but pragmatically, since one can't really perform CPR effectively while in water, you could also say that for diving purposes, "Rescue" could reasonably constrain its scope to essentially just in-water skill set.

For example, just how many Rescue Divers do we think there are out the with expired CPR certifications? Do we say that they're no longer a Rescue Diver if they've not maintained currency on its prerequisites? Why or why not?

-hh

For example, just how many Rescue Divers do we think there are out the with expired CPR certifications? Do we say that they're no longer a Rescue Diver if they've not maintained currency on its prerequisites? Why or why not?
A ton, I'm sure, but I'd still rather have them out there than someone who hasn't been trained.

If the instructors in her area are requiring AOW as a prerequisite for rescue then they ARE putting up barriers, that is not the PADI standard.
So PADI has lower its barrier nowadays. Min age is 12!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom