Are Rescue Skills really needed by the average diver.... ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Training is important... Sometimes the "obvious" thing to do is one that will endanger one or both of you.

forgive me for sounding rude but i really don not mean to ! but why is a Staff instructor even Asking such a question ??
the importance of rescue skills is second to none! the fact that you can add tag optional skills onto the end of Advanced open water (yes a con ed but an important one !) of line throwing introduces such skills
the "Average Diver" who dives a fair amount on holidays or any Responsible diver would want to be able to carry out rescue and not have to count on a "dive professional" on a dive its common sense to want be able to help yourself and a fellow diver be it your buddy /relative or partner
the rescue course covers so many basic skills that save lives and really as a responsible diver people should i feel aim to be at least rescue cert level taking responsibility for themselves
once again im not being rude just confused that a Staff instructor would even ask it
if it was asked by an OW diver then ok
Sorry

Besides the skills, the Rescue course also helps in training people to prevent accidents before they get in the water which is the best place to prevent them if possible.

I would really like to take Rescue, but I have no intention of taking Advanced Open Water- I do not want to do a deep dive (unless I can find someone who will just go to 61 ft and call it 'deep' but that seems a bit ridiculous.)

It seems very odd that PADI has a gateway to rescue skills that requires a deep dive. Shallow water divers could benefit from these skills as well. I'm hoping my buddy takes the class, and I can end up learning from him.

forgive me for sounding rude but i really don not mean to ! but why is a Staff instructor even Asking such a question ??

Just an obvious attempt to plug the rescue classes.... :)

Personally I think they should combine Open Water, Navigation, Deep, Nitrox, PPB, Self Reliant and Rescue and call it Recreational Diver.

What skills do you find important from rescue? Is it the EFR part, which one can get from about thousand other sources? Incident prevention? Incidents at depth? Incidents at the surface?
I can say one thing for sure - dive related incidents does NOT "happen to everyone else but not me". They have happened to me in a fairly significant way three times, minor issues a lot more. Divers in my group panicking and/or needing assistance from others than me several times. Its just a matter of diving enough and you WILL find yourself in an "interesting situation". Just HOW interesting that situation will be will depend on yourself.

If you need to perform EFR, its of little importance if you was trained in the army, the rescue course or by the red cross - the important part is that you WHERE TRAINED. When it comes to fixing the parrotfish poop that hit the fancoral at depth, thats much more specific to diving and requires not only that you have the required skills to solve it, but also the composure. Most of us, if we have time and clarity to think about it would be able to solve most issues - staying calm and collected enough to actually do it, thats a different matter entirely.

I would really like to take Rescue, but I have no intention of taking Advanced Open Water- I do not want to do a deep dive (unless I can find someone who will just go to 61 ft and call it 'deep' but that seems a bit ridiculous.)

It seems very odd that PADI has a gateway to rescue skills that requires a deep dive. Shallow water divers could benefit from these skills as well. I'm hoping my buddy takes the class, and I can end up learning from him.

And this is a huge reason I am not a PADI instructor. Students don't have to wait or do other courses to get rescue skills. With SEI we include some rescue skills in the OW class. After that to enroll in the full DRAM rescue class all you you need is ten more dives done after your cert dives. Making people wait is stupid.

I prefer people have rescue before entering the Advanced level classes that give you access to dives with a higher degree of risk and perhaps more severe consequences. Find an idependent instructor with SEI, NAUI, PDIC or one of the other agencies that do not have such a ridiculous requirement.

Advanced Open Water is not the PADI prerequisite for rescue. Here are the prereqs from the instructor manual.

Diver Prerequisites
•12 years old Note: 12-14 year old divers may earn Junior Rescue Diver certifications
•PADI(Junior) Adventure Diver certification–must have completed the Underwater Navigation Adventure Dive
•PADI Open Water Divers may participate in Knowledge Development and Rescue Exercises in confined water
•EFR Primary and Secondary Care training within 24 months.Training may be completed along with rescue diver course

Most people choose to finish AOW before rescue but if you really don't want to do a 'deep' dive you can do the UW Navigation adventure dive and two other adventure dives for the Adventure Diver certification and then take Rescue.

Totally unnecessary requirements. None of those are necessary to teach a diver rescue skills and increase their awareness of what can lead to a problem. A good rescue course is as much or more about preventing an incident that leads to an accident in the first place. Then you can think about the water skills.

At least around here getting the adventure cert is going to require the AOW class. I know of no shops locally that don't try to push the full class. They sure don't offer any discounts for the adventure cert.

And some students don't want to do anything else for one reason or another. And that's why many don't go on to the rescue class. They don't want to spend money or time on things they don't feel they need so they have a roadblock to something they do want and need put in front of them.

Does that justify denying them the rescue class? Not in my book. If anything it should reinforce the idea they take it before anything else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom