Are Rescue Skills really needed by the average diver.... ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Islandheart

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Likely the most asked question I get from my new dive students is; How far should I go in training to be an Average or Recreational Diver?

Most believe they should take only the basic Open Water diver course and they'll be happy as a clam.

Depending on how they (The Average Scuba diver) was/is trained, and by whom I should add, is of the greatest importance. Yes agency has a bearing but many instructors teach beyond standards to include additional skills.

So why am I starting this thread and why... over the past three weekends while conducting Open Water dives with my students, I've witnessed one Rescue where the divers ended up in the hospital and assisted in another Rescue where the out-come was less intensive let's say.

That's two in three weeks. WOW

Actually I'm headed to teach a Rescue Class and Pool session right now but I wanted to get this thread started.... I'll add more later this evening.

continued...
Great class today with three wonderful folks....
- surprise of surprises, one of my Rescue folks today could not even clear her mask.
* Said her OW instructor did not make them do it to get their OW cert.
** She said her AdvOW instr (not the same one) did not even check her basic skills to take the Advanced cert.
*** Said she was a little shocked that I was requiring her to do it to take my Rescue class.

my other two students were just dumbfounded at her when she said these three things.

...for me, not a huge surprise, I've seen this before. I require all new students to preform basic skills before they start any course.

Wasn't long and she was clearing like a champion. During the 3 hours I'd just point at her and she'd remove, replace and clear with little effort or concern.... She was beaming at herself and sharing big high 5's with the other two divers.

Great comments, thanks everyone, including Gizmo....lol do see me post of page 4....

dive safe all...

Last edited:
Damned important!!

No one tells you "there will be a rescue situation on this dive" while you are gearing up.

You need to be like a Boy Scout and "Be Prepared" on every dive, no matter how apparently benign.

In the two actual rescues I've done, there was no way to tell ahead of time that those skills would be called upon. No to mention the innumerable times that a timely minor intervention has prevented a potential rescue situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

If the student plans on diving with their spouse/child/parent/friend/anyone else, then yes. Why would you want to be anything less than fully prepared for whatever situation presents itself? And wouldn't you want that for your buddy as well?

Hopefully you will never be involved in a rescue. Very few divers ever are. But, an awareness will make you a safer diver and a better buddy to your diving companions. That in itself will enhance your diving experience. Go for it!

Depending on how they (The Average Scuba diver) was/is trained, and by whom I should add, is of the greatest importance. Yes agency has a bearing but many instructors teach beyond standards to include additional skills.

Agency and instructor make all the difference. Additionally, many instructors may teach beyond standards but many teach only to the standards and the standards are pretty low in some agencies. The training for OW is very diverse even within an agency. Even the definition of an Average or Recreation diver will vary greatly between individuals.

Every diver should know the basics of rescue: donating air, helping a buddy who has lost a mask or a fin or has a muscle cramp or is tired, ... or has a buoyancy issue. These things do happen. Not all rescues involve resuscitation and intensive care.

I personally would rather not dive or allow a loved one to dive with someone who does not have basic rescue skills unless I'm getting paid to.

SEI never took what we consider to be basic rescue skills out of the open water class.

Panicked diver at the surface, unconscious diver from depth, supporting a diver at the surface and helping them get positive, and rescue tow while stripping gear take one two hour pool session to teach.

And the upping of the confidence level, awareness level, and skill level of the student is crystal clear over someone who has not had this training. Especially when you make no bones about what can happen to someone if they don't have these skills. It is made clear that newer divers and even "experienced" ones have died pretty nasty deaths because someone did not know what to do.

How'd you like to watch someone drown three feet from the surface because you did not know how to help them drop their weights or at least support them while they did? Actual event.

How about watching a panicked diver slip under and not come back up because your OW class thought that rendering assitance to an individual in that situation could only be handled by a "rescue diver". Another actual event

Or what about seeing someone in passive panic totally non responsive on the bottom and now know how to help them other than surfacing and calling for a "rescue diver"? Instead of you and your buddy being able to safely surface them and get them help.

And why is it accepted that not having these skills is ok because "you'll be with a DM or Instructor, so don't worry about it"? Until you're not. Then how do you live with yourself. See this all the time at local sites. And it's disgusting.

How do instructors live with themselves when they certify a diver that they would not allow their kids to dive with because if the SHTF they would not be able to help them?

Isn't this in reality part of what RSTC standards indicate when they say a new OW diver should be able to plan, execute, and safely return from a dive with no professional present? Isn't the ability to self rescue or rescue a buddy part of that execution and return part?

Yes, rescue is very important. Unfortunately I was part of two rescues. In both situations the divers fortunately survived, although both were touch and go. Without trained rescue divers/instructors, etc. Both divers would certainly be dead.

We found one embolized, unconscious, face down in the water with no regulator. The other was drowning, no reg in the mouth, unconscious & not breathing when she was brought to shore.

I didn't see the full outcome of the second situation, however she was sitting up and pretty conscious when the Ambulance took her away, so I can only guess and hope that she is ok. After 7 trips to the chamber the guy with the embolism was fine.

Learn rescue skills! Hopefully you will never have to use them.

I believe every diver should have rescue training. I took, and passed, my SSI Rescue Diver course as soon as it was possible. I was certified late November, and a Rescue Diver in mid-February. It made me a better, safer diver and gave me the confidence to jump in and help, if needed. I did have prior Red Cross junior and senior life-saving certification, but that was in the last century.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom