Are PST tanks top of the line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Too bad yoke regulators are identical to DIN regulators except for the connector piece, so there would be no "additional wear" vs a DIN reg.

There's no downside to using a yoke reg on the E-series tanks vs Al 80s.

Thanks for the responses.
I'm a novice diver. Probably will dive 10-15 time a year.(hopefully more Than that) I wear 15lbs of weight. My thinking is an E-100. Lighter than an Al 80 and even at 3000psi I have more air than an Al 80.

My regs have a yolk. Should I change them over to din?

Thanks again, Komi

jonnythan:
Too bad yoke regulators are identical to DIN regulators except for the connector piece, so there would be no "additional wear" vs a DIN reg.

There's no downside to using a yoke reg on the E-series tanks vs Al 80s.

Did'nt see your post on page 2. Guess I won't woory about it.

It's yoke, not yolk :wink:

If you're only going to be diving your own tanks, it might be worth it to switch them over to DIN if you can, simply because it's a more robust connector. You can always use a yoke connector on your din regulator, but it brings the reg closer to your head.

If you'll be using rental tanks or your buddie's tanks fairly often just stick with the yoke. You can use DIN or yoke on the PST tanks.

saf_25:
Well, what I was told was that it isn't a problem for the tank/valve, and not a problem in the short-term for the reg, but using a yoke reg (which are usually only recommended for 3000 pounds) on the tanks filled to 3400 over a long time can put unnecssary pressure on the regs. The tech at my LDS said that he can see a difference in the amount of wear on the regs he service that use these tanks with a yoke connector.

That can't be right. Lets say I have two PST tanks and two regs both used at 3400PSI. Only one has a yoke and the other is a DIN setup. The only difference between the two setups two little adaptors. The reg and the valve body are identical.

On the DIN setup: The PST supplied "DIN plug" would be removed from the valve and the reg would have a DIN fitting screwed onto it and

IN the Yoke case the DIN plug would be instaled and a yoke fitting would be screwed in to my reg.

In all cases the REg "sees" the same 3442PSI air and the valves seeat sees the same wear.

fins1:
Thanks for the responses.
I'm a novice diver. Probably will dive 10-15 time a year.(hopefully more Than that) I wear 15lbs of weight. My thinking is an E-100. Lighter than an Al 80 and even at 3000psi I have more air than an Al 80.

My regs have a yolk. Should I change them over to din?

Thanks again, Komi

I got a couple E7 100's last year to double up, and dived them a few times as singles while waiting for the bands and manifold. After years of diving with AL80's, they were really nice. The overall weight(including weightbelt) is 6lbs less, and I even get more air, and even when I only fill to 3000psi, as you say. (Although for me there is no reason to not fill it to full capacity.)

I started using DIN even for single tanks, because I liked the feel of it, and the DIN setup, being more streamlined and smaller, reduces the tendency to snag kelp when I inadverntantly run into a kelp patch while surface swimming on my back. This would probably also apply to entanglement hazards during dives, but I don't see it being too different, as you should have enough awareness not to run into them anyway, unless you are diving in 0 visibility.

One problem with the PST E7 100's is that there seems to be a shortage of them, so it may be a little hard to get right now.

saf_25:
Well, what I was told was that it isn't a problem for the tank/valve, and not a problem in the short-term for the reg, but using a yoke reg (which are usually only recommended for 3000 pounds) on the tanks filled to 3400 over a long time can put unnecssary pressure on the regs. The tech at my LDS said that he can see a difference in the amount of wear on the regs he service that use these tanks with a yoke connector.
Actually, the issue is what the rating of the Yoke itself is. My Zeagle has a 3500psi rated Yoke, according to my LDS, so no problem with the HP rated tanks that use the 3442psi rating. DIN will handle the higher pressures simply because of the lack of stress on a single point as there is on a Yoke.

That said, either will work fine until you reach what I've been told is true High Pressure, anything in excess of 3500psi. Then the DIN is recommended.

Wings:
I recently bought a PST E8-119 and use it with a BP/W. Its been super so far. No problems getting a full fill at any LDS here in Fla. I ask to have it filled to 3700 - 3800 lbs and I end up with 3400 - 3550 lbs on my spg at the dive site.

FWIW, I dont believe the PST tanks are "+" rated, therefore should not be overfilled past the 3442 rating.

paulwlee:
I got a couple E7 100's last year to double up, and dived them a few times as singles while waiting for the bands and manifold. After years of diving with AL80's, they were really nice. The overall weight(including weightbelt) is 6lbs less, and I even get more air, and even when I only fill to 3000psi, as you say. (Although for me there is no reason to not fill it to full capacity.)

I started using DIN even for single tanks, because I liked the feel of it, and the DIN setup, being more streamlined and smaller, reduces the tendency to snag kelp when I inadverntantly run into a kelp patch while surface swimming on my back. This would probably also apply to entanglement hazards during dives, but I don't see it being too different, as you should have enough awareness not to run into them anyway, unless you are diving in 0 visibility.

One problem with the PST E7 100's is that there seems to be a shortage of them, so it may be a little hard to get right now.

Well i bought an E-100 today. Woohooo my first tank. $325 at divers direct in Orlando. The only place I could find them in this area. They had at least 20 of every size.

paulwlee, I said 3000 because of all the talk of LDS not being able to fill them to 3440. I plan on filling them to capacity.
Going to be diving 7mile bridge in Marathon for some lobster Aug. 6th. Can't wait to get the tank wet. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom