Are PST tanks top of the line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
Problems using yoke at 3442 psi, eh?

What kind of problems have you run into with that configuration?

I have never had a problem. There is a better chance of O-ring extrusion between the valve and first stage when using a yoke. I have seen it occur on the boat with 3000psi
fills. As long as you bring extra O-rings, not an issue. Some people would also note that the valve adapter is an extra point of failure, if you use the screw in piece to use a yoke reg. I have filled to 3500psi using a yoke, and dived overfilled cylinders with a yoke (not advised). I will simply restate, that the potential for problems is slightly higher when diving higher pressure with a yoke reg.

None of those problems have anything to do with the pressure involved, they're all inherent to using a yoke reg. The bottom line is that using a yoke at 3442 is of no concern whatsoever, and there are no extra issues diving a yoke at 3442 vs 3000.

I have purchased a new aqualung legend regulator. The first stage has 3000psi printed on it. Does this mean I can't utilize a pst tank, with a 3442 psi rating?

well my only promblem with the LP tanks is the size diffrence compaired to HP tanks which are smaller, unless the new tanks changed that.

reefrunner:
I have purchased a new aqualung legend regulator. The first stage has 3000psi printed on it. Does this mean I can't utilize a pst tank, with a 3442 psi rating?

My guess the stamp is on the yoke, not the first stage body.

If my guess is correct, that is the rated pressure for the yoke. The party line with this would be to change it out to a DIN if diving with cylinders that are designed to operate at pressures higher than 3000.

Side note: it is not uncommon for Aluminum 80's to be filled to 3200.

TwoBit

I am thinking of switching to HP tanks, as well(from old LP steel 72s). Either the PST E7-100, the E8-119 or similar from other manufacturer. Spoke at length with the dive shop today and everyone recommended a DIN conversion. According to the shop, the yoke can handle the HP, but there is more of a possibility of a total failure with the yoke vs. DIN. By that they meant the whole thing flying off the tank and leaving you w/o air. They've seen it in the pool. My shop said they'd convert my current yoke set-up to DIN for $60 and give me the yoke back. That's to go back to yoke in case of a trip -- because most dive resorts/shops use a yoke on rental tanks. I have no personal experience to offer, but the shop that I trust recommended a DIN set-up for HP tanks. Good Luck.

LobstaMan

NO, lp is the best way to go. They are slightler larger but will last much much longer. PST is also not the best. OMS makes the best lp steel tanks. But only buy the grey color oms tanks, not the white faber or xs scuba tanks. I own 2 lp 80's by PST and have had no problems but OMS is the best.

Why on earth would an lp tank "last longer"?

And what about your OMS tanks makes them better than PST tanks?

fins1:
Thanks for the responses.
I'm a novice diver. Probably will dive 10-15 time a year.(hopefully more Than that) I wear 15lbs of weight. My thinking is an E-100. Lighter than an Al 80 and even at 3000psi I have more air than an Al 80.

My regs have a yolk. Should I change them over to din?

Thanks again, Komi

So is the air that you breathe scrambled, sunny-side-up, over-easy, poached or an omlet?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Yolk is that yellow center of an egg.

SouthFLdiver:
OMS makes the best lp steel tanks. But only buy the grey color oms tanks, not the white faber or xs scuba tanks. I own 2 lp 80's by PST and have had no problems but OMS is the best.

Where'd you hear this?

FWIW - OMS doesn't make scuba cylinders ... they are Faber cylinders with a slightly different finish. The valves are the only part that are actually OMS products.

XS Scuba cylinders are also Faber cylinders with Thermo tank valves.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom