Are Pressure Transmitters compatible across brands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, I had not realized the manufacturing was so concentrated. It explains why a $10 part is sold for $299.
SCUBA TAX.... argg....

for anyone who has recently bought one of these, what place had the best deal?

SCUBA TAX.... argg....

for anyone who has recently bought one of these, what place had the best deal?
Buy a used one.

Will the Oceanic transmitter that works with the VT3 still work with the newer VTX computer? I am thinking of upgrading but I do not want to buy a new transmitter.

Will the Oceanic transmitter that works with the VT3 still work with the newer VTX computer? I am thinking of upgrading but I do not want to buy a new transmitter.
Yes. All the Oceanics (and some other brands) use the same transmitters. As long as it has FCC ID MH8A, it will work. I’m using the transmitter that came with my Oceanic VT4.1 with my Shearwater Perdix AI. No issues.

Yes the standard PPS transmitter will work with a VTX, all Oceanic computers use this transmitter.

The VTX came out in 2014 and was discontinued in 2018. I did not hear much good about it, know a couple of folks who were unhappy with it. If that is the form you want, consider a Shearwater Perdix AI, also uses the PPS transmitter.

Edit: sorry, @Belzelbub posted while I was typing, we think pretty similarly.

I note from above posts Pelagic is/was the OEM manufacturer for Oceanic (Aeris), Aqualung, Shearwater (now manufacturing its own), and a few others no longer in business. But, how do you tell if the transmitter is branded a Shearwater (legacy version), Oceanic, etc. where there is no actual brand label on the outside? I can see it doesn't really matter since all made by Pelagic and all the same but curious what I might have.

I picked up a nearly brand new Teric that had an unused (still sealed in the bag) gray transmitter but can't tell if it is a Shearwater (legacy) or one of the other names.

1654447864641.png

1654447898229.png

1654447931646.png

I note from above posts Pelagic is/was the OEM manufacturer for Oceanic (Aeris), Aqualung, Shearwater (now manufacturing its own), and a few others no longer in business. But, how do you tell if the transmitter is branded a Shearwater (legacy version), Oceanic, etc. where there is no actual brand label on the outside? I can see it doesn't really matter since all made by Pelagic and all the same but curious what I might have.

I picked up a nearly brand new Teric that had an unused (still sealed in the bag) gray transmitter but can't tell if it is a Shearwater (legacy) or one of the other names.

View attachment 726689

View attachment 726690

View attachment 726691
I believe there is no external marking indicating it was made or sold by Shearwater. The serial number may be a clue: I believe all PPS transmitters begin with BM, so FP may indicate Shearwater. I have 4 transmitters; 3 are BM, one is FP, and I think I bought that one used from a Shearwater owner. Note that Huish repairs/refurbishes/replaces the BM transmitters for $120. i do not know if they do that for the FP transmitters.

I believe there is no external marking indicating it was made or sold by Shearwater. The serial number may be a clue: I believe all PPS transmitters begin with BM, so FP may indicate Shearwater. I have 4 transmitters; 3 are BM, one is FP, and I think I bought that one used from a Shearwater owner. Note that Huish repairs/refurbishes/replaces the BM transmitters for $120. i do not know if they do that for the FP transmitters.

I have a yellow legacy transmitter I bought from DGX in 2020. It does show the Shearwater logo next to the serial number.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom