Are my ears gonna hurt real bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ValiantLlamma

Registered
Reaction score
When you get to the bottom of a deep pool, and it feels like someone is attacking you in the ears with qtips, that sucks. does that happen when scuba-ing? i thought thats what the regulator was for, but nowim not sure.

ValiantLlamma:
When you get to the bottom of a deep pool, and it feels like someone is attacking you in the ears with qtips, that sucks. does that happen when scuba-ing? i thought thats what the regulator was for, but nowim not sure.
Not to worry, grasshopper.
You think it "sucks" in the pool? What do you think happens when you go five times that deep?

When you take your certification training, you will learn techniques for "equalizing" the pressure in your ears. When you go down, you equalize the pressure, and you equalize by lowering the pressure when you come back up. It will not hurt, and I'll bet you wish you had learned this before you went in the deep end of the pool!

But, that is what training is for, to learn how to keep from getting hurt, and how to do the skills properly. This is not the place to explain, since doing it wrong can hurt your ears, too. Get with a qualified SCUBA instructor, and learn it right, right from the beginning.

By the way, your regulator is to provide you with breathing air at sufficient, but not too high, pressure to be able to breathe. It would "suck" to not be able to breathe, too! It's not what equalizes the pressure in your ears.

Go get 'em!

SCUBA diving should be and is for the most part a painless sport. Once you get into your open water class they will explain everything you need to know about equalizing your ears. Best of luck!

You have to equalize your ears by holding your nose and blowing slightly. Do so before you go down and if you feel pressure once underwater do it again. The regulator is so you can breath and not die.:D

sasscuba:
You have to equalize your ears by holding your nose and blowing slightly. Do so before you go down and if you feel pressure once underwater do it again.
I wouldn't recommend trying this at home, alone.:no

Over blowing can injure your ears, too. Make sure that the first time(s) you try this, you are with some one who knows what to do.
Your mileage may vary...

B.T.W., sasscuba, I hope you post a lot more, I just love to look at your avatar...

BiggDawg:
I wouldn't recommend trying this at home, alone.:no

Over blowing can injure your ears, too. Make sure that the first time(s) you try this, you are with some one who knows what to do.
Your mileage may vary...

:lol: Give me a break. You never equalized your ears while flying? You know how hard you would have to blow to damage your ears? Exactly why my post was to blow slightly.

sasscuba:
Give me a break. You never equalized your ears while flying? You know how hard you would have to blow to damage your ears? Exactly why my post was to blow slightly.
Never had to, even as I flew quarter of a million miles a year. Swallowing was always enough. Besides, flying was going up. Ascending to .6 atmospheres (the typical pressurization of an airliner) in fifteen minutes is not nearly the same as descending to three in two minutes.

I'll gladly give you a break, but I hope it's not your eardrums. I have seen a diver who injured an eardrum with a too aggressive valsalva. I'd venture to say he knew exactly how much pressure it took (albeit, too late...)

Hey, each to his own. But I still love your avatar.

ValiantLlamma:

The short answer is that you will learn how to fix that in class. Scuba diving does not hurt, if it did no one would do it, or atleast I wouldn't cause i'm a wuss :)
It is a good question, since so many people think that diving does hurt. That is the number one response I get when I tell people I dive "that must really hurt, I don't think I could do it"

sweet. cause i was just thinkin, "hey, what if i'm just supposed to 'get used to it'". If that was the case i was gonna be kinda bummed. yea i tried holding my nose and blowing before, but it just kinda squeeks and then hurts again. thanks

BiggDawg:
Hey, each to his own. But I still love your avatar.

To each his own and thanks.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom