Are Hollis or Dive Rite or Halcyon single tank wings anybetter than HOG's one.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the answers.

I've read a lot about DSS wings, most of it good comments about the good quality and service of the products, but there are a couple of things that I don't like of this wings:
First is the absence of zip for access to the bladder, may be not important if you live in USA as you can send the wing to get fixed easily, as I'm living in Spain (Europe) sending the wing to get fixed is not a cheap or fast option.
Then, It seems to me that the shape is optimized for the long aluminum cylinders that are used in the States and around, I'm not sure if it's the right one for the heavy stain tanks we use in Europe.

So it seem to me that the HOG 38lb wing is going to be the winner. At 200$ (after point rebate) I think is the best option.

Thanks again for everybody help, I'll buy the wing in a couple of weeks so I'll keep an eye on the thread.

Best regards form Zaragoza.

I know that is not a must with a Dive Rite, but as far as I know Halcyon is not selling single tank wing with slots for the cam bands, so you do need an STA. The only model I have find is the Pionner but is not in production anymore.

Thanks for your comment and please correct me if I'm wrong.

Best regards form Zaragoza.

You're right. I just took it for granted that my Halcyon wings are similar in design to my Dive Rite wings. There are no slots in the Halcyon Eclipse wings to run the tank straps through.

Some of the DSS wings have zippers that you can access the bladder.

Some of the DSS wings have zippers that you can access the bladder.
I have seen them, the LCD models, but this ones are 'horseshoe' type, I do want a circular one, and I think this are the Torus models.

Hmmm... well I have wings that have zippers and some that don't. I don't really see a need for them. I have a buddy that used to put oranges in his for after the dive. (It was a long swim back to the beach.) That's about the only time I ever saw anyone unzip their wing. Me personally, I'm not diving a wing that's been patched like an inner tube. If the wing gets punctured, it's history.

I unzip my wings after the diving season for a deep rinse and inspection. I also like to store them out of the wing so that I can put them flat in a shelf, then before the new season I remount every thing.

Is this a bad procedure?

not a bad procedure, most of us just inflate and hang the whole BC up if possible, if not it just gets laid flat, not really going to harm it either way, big thing is to keep things off of the wing, especially the backplate.

Hmmm... well I have wings that have zippers and some that don't. I don't really see a need for them. I have a buddy that used to put oranges in his for after the dive. (It was a long swim back to the beach.) That's about the only time I ever saw anyone unzip their wing. Me personally, I'm not diving a wing that's been patched like an inner tube. If the wing gets punctured, it's history.

The beauty of the zipper is that the wing can be broken down if you have a puncture. You can swap the inner bladder and just patch the shell. That's what I did with my Halcyon Eclipse when it got a leak. The hole on the shell is stitched up, but the inner bladder was all new. No zippers means you have to get a whole new wing.

There has to be far easier ways to bring fruit on a dive. Pockets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No pockets...

If the bladder is swappable, then there's definitely a benefit, but I believe the ones I have are not. I'll have to look at that tonight.

I have seen them, the LCD models, but this ones are 'horseshoe' type, I do want a circular one, and I think this are the Torus models.
I just got a DSS LCD 30, and while it is a horseshoe, I wouldn't worry too much about trapped air in the lower right side. The wing is pretty narrow and does not extend much when fully inflated so no tacoing, and dumping air completely has been a non issue, and then you get the zipper to boot! I highly recommend you call DSS, and have a chat, the guy is a little abrupt, but cares about his product and wants you to get the right gear for your type of diving, and when you buy his package deal his price is pretty hard to beat, considering the quality of the gear you are getting!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom