Are Henderson Wetsuits Worth the Extra $$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EricJ

Contributor
Reaction score
Los Osos (San Luis Obispo County) California
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been using my 5mil Henderson Hyperstretch full wetsuit for about four years, and I've been very satisfied. However, I don't think it's providing the insulation it used to, so I've begun to research replacements.

When I first purchased the suit, Henderson seemed to be the only provider of hyperstretch style suites. Now I've noticed a number of companies offering hyperstretch models. Many of these models sell for 30% - 45% less than Henderson.

Are Henderson's worth the extra money? Or, were they simply the originator of a great idea and have the backing of a well-known name brand?

Let's avoid the "flames" of Henderson and other wetsuit makers and simply let me and others know what your experience and/or opinions are. :diver:

EricJ:
I've been using my 5mil Henderson Hyperstretch full wetsuit for about four years, and I've been very satisfied. However, I don't think it's providing the insulation it used to, so I've begun to research replacements.

When I first purchased the suit, Henderson seemed to be the only provider of hyperstretch style suites. Now I've noticed a number of companies offering hyperstretch models. Many of these models sell for 30% - 45% less than Henderson.

Are Henderson's worth the extra money? Or, were they simply the originator of a great idea and have the backing of a well-known name brand?

Let's avoid the "flames" of Henderson and other wetsuit makers and simply let me and others know what your experience and/or opinions are. :diver:
I haven't used the Henderson, so I can't comment on them, but I have tried the Harvey's FLEX and absolutely love it. It might be worth doing a price comparison. I do know my LDS sells the Harvey's cheaper than I've seen the Henderson online.
Good Luck,
C-Dawg

Yes...they kind of pancake with time. I've noticed the same thing with mine. It's like wearing out a favourite pair of jeans.

FWIW, I have a couple of weights (3, ,5 & 7/5semi dry) in the Henderson, a Harvey's 5 and a SP 3, each in their own version of hyperflexible material. There are some duplicate weights, because I am slowly replacing the Hendersons as they wear out.

The Scubapro has a very similar feel to the Henderson (SP has nicer seals in my opinion).

The Harvey's is almost as stretchy as the others...almost, but it seems to have a denser, more substantial feel. (I think it is warmer, but it may be my imagination). The Harvey's is slightly more bouyant.

All are stylish, which any diver will tell you is crucial :05:

Obviously, I did not get the suits at the same time, nor do I wear them equally, but I would say without reservation that the Harvey's will prove most durable. (The Scubapro is my favourite because when it comes right down to it, I am slightly vain.:wink: )

My non-scientific and subjective conclusions:
Great looks and flexibilty>ScubaPro (++expense)
Very stylish and flexible>Henderson.(+expense)
If you want a suit that is virtually as comfortable as the other 2, attractive, durable, slightly better insulating qualities and significantly more cost effective, Harvey's gets my vote.

W/D

Thanks VTdiver2 & WaterDaughter! I appreciate the feedback. I'm thinking of going with the less expensive Harvey 5 mil.

I'd be willing to spend more on Henderson because the suit I purchased served me well, and I like to reward good quality with loyalty. However, the price difference I'm encountering is too great to ignore...considering my budget.

Any suit that stretches easily, won't keep you as warm. If it stretches easily, it compresses easily as well. Some suits, like the Bare Velocity, have stretch only in the sleeves, but come in sizes to fit virtually everyone - so they go on good, and give warmth. But the stretch of the Henderson's seems more comfortable than any of the others I've tried... So for me... Spend the money for the hyperstretch, or go with the bare... You're basically at 3 bills on the hyperstretch, and half that for the bare. I like the comfort...

EricJ:

I haven't tried any of the other super stretchy brands than Henderson, (and I hope that this doesn't qualify as a "flame" of Henderson), but while I love the fit of my 3mm Hyperstretch, I've had problems with the stitching (also with a pair of Henderson Gold Core gloves). So I'm not impressed with the quality versus price of my Henderson products so far.

My next super stretch ywetsuit (and I *will* go for one of the super stretchy neoprene types) will be one of the other brands - hopefully one that has a lower price but better overall quality.

So my personal opinion is that the Henderson name probably isn't worth the extra $$, as you can get the same type of fit in a super stretchy neoprene from other quality manufacturers for a lower price.

Of course, YMMV... :)

You know if y'all want a warm suit, then looking for a super stretchy suit is a bad idea.

The stiffer it is, the warmer it is because it won't compress as much at depth. It's a compromise between the two, but it's best to go with a suit with less stretch if you actually want a wetsuit for warmth :wink:

looking for a 5mm suite for fla east coast was thinking dry suit tls350se. but too expensive. im cold in the 3mm suit i have. any fla resident divers out there? 5mm hyperstretch henderson or add hooded vest?

I've got a 3mm Henderson and have been extremly happy with it. While Henderson does cost more than some of the non-stretch wetsuits, you can find
them on sale for pretty decent bargains and then it's not that much more.

I just picked up a 5mm, Henderson Hyperstretch on sale last week and
saved prob about a $100 bucks off 'list price'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom