Are dive boats always so packed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not that I go on a lot of dive boats, but I've been on enough to learn from the veterans on the do's and dont's.

On FL dive boats and warm water I would assume that the amount of gear would be less than a cold water California boat. We have thick wetsuits or drysuits/undies and large weight belts, and just more bulky stuff in general to deal with.
I fully set up my rig complete before I even set foot on the boat. I make a point to be early so I can pick a spot next to a gate. I bring a plastic 5 gallon bucket that has been modified with small rubber feet on the bottom so it doesn't slide around. My weightbelt, gloves, compass, bottom timer, mask etc. all goes in there before and after dives to keep it all collected in one small container with a small foot print.

My bag that holds my wetsuit is a soft duffle that I can roll up and also stuff into the 5 gallon bucket if I want or otherwise I put my street clothes and dive change towel in it and stash it out of the way. Being that it is a soft duffle it will conform to any place you can fit it. If it's a day trip I will sometimes get into my wetsuit bottoms with a dive coat on and wetsuit top in hand or in another smaller duffle. If I do it this way then I leave my clothing locked in my truck. I'll bring my wallet and keys and keep them in a watertight otter box also in the 5 gallon bucket. I always make sure I have tip money for the deck hands.

On the boats I go on everybody brings their own tank and the boat refills the one tank you bring as needed. On boats that supply the tanks it's a little harder, then you have to set up your rig on the boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mind crowded boats. Yes, I would prefer a less crowded boat but that also means the dive charter isn't making as much profit. I'm fairly certain that dive charters aren't in the business just for the fun of it.:wink:

Smaller boats, if filled to capacity, is still going to be crowded. About the only way to avoid a crowded boat is to have your own boat or know people that have their own boats. Or charter out a dive boat but bring on a limited number of people.

Very good information to get myself and my friends ready for the next trip. Thanks again!

Key Largo operators added to my list of recommended operators.

How much is the proper amount to tip the deck hands? Do you just throw it in the tip container or hand it to them? I threw a 10 in there, but wasn't sure if that was right.

How much is the proper amount to tip the deck hands? Do you just throw it in the tip container or hand it to them? I threw a 10 in there, but wasn't sure if that was right.

Throw it in the tip jar or unless you think that one person earned it but the rest didn't, then give it to that individual. I've done that a couple of times.

As far as how much tip, that depends. I usually throw in a $20 for a single day trip. For multi-days trip, I'd go up to $40 or $50. All depends on the experience.

If the service was good all around I throw $5 per dive into the jar.
If the boat sucked and the food was bad and the crew was so so except for one hand that was very good and made sure I was taken care of, then he/she get's the $5 per dive personally handed to him/her and I say "This is for you, thank you, you did a great job".

If everything sucks and the attitudes are horrible then nobody gets anything.

it depends on where you go, and what season it is.

when you're on really small islands, it's usually just you and the DM. maybe like two or three other people if it's a major US holiday. i suppose if you're diving in a really populated area, like miami, you're bound to be on a populated boat. but the diving is likely worth it!

Wow sounds like a nightmare topside!! Missing tank and all...pretty rude...nice to have good dives though...

I carry a medium size mesh bag that fits my fins, mask, snorkel, etc. It's just a little longer than my fins, fits right under where I sit, doesn't interfere with anything or anyone while I get my stuff together.

The boat I'm most used to carries 6 buddy pairs max plus crew of up to 3 and the captain. It's not always full but when it is it's not too bad...

My LDS later told me the south beach boat had 34 people.

This past saturday I went on the same size boat but with an operator named Rainbow Reef in key largo. They only had about 20 on board. It was MUCH nicer and the crew was great!

We had a space between each set of tanks and the area below the seats weren't used so the gear fit perfectly.

What a difference!

They were also nice enough to take us to Christ of the Abyss which is usually a bit far for them, and then to French Reef.

I think it's worth the hour drive to avoid the crowded sobe boats and the conditions/reefs are much nicer anyway.

I went on my last two dives for my cert yesterday out of Miami Beach and the dive boat was so packed I had to wait until most people were in the water to even start putting my BC on my tank. The second dive was a mission to even find a full tank to use because someone took my second tank since it was one of the school tanks. Half the tanks were under the benches because they wouldn't fit on top so it was impossible to put my large scuba bag in there.
I had two people on my boat this past weekend--one too many, but not bad.:wink: I will second the suggestions to set up your tank before departure and to get a mesh bag. The mesh bag is as close to standard equipment as it gets.
It is self-critiquing when you try to get off the bench and realize your tank is still bungeed :wink:
We've all done that at least once.

A ten is good. I hand it to them, with a "thanks" and a handshake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom