Are dive boats always so packed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings DaMaDo and I am glad that you had a blast on the dives.
I have purposely avoided large "cattle boats" for the reasons you mentioned.
However if I was to book a charter on such a boat I would arrive early and map out the best location on the boat to kit up and stow a small bag.
I would own my own tanks or mark rented tanks with marking tape or a sticker of some ugly, obvious kind. All other gear would be close together.

I know that some boats do things different but on the boats I have been on Mex., Lake Huron, Lake Michigan all like a tight compact gear pack.
Did you set up your own rig? This is another one of my issues on some boats.
I SET MY OWN RIG UP! I do not like other people other than my buddy touching my gear. If I have a insta-buddy I will make sure my gear is ready before entering the water. We will do a BWARF buddy check before we get in the water.

I like smaller boats because of the dive sites are less crowded and the boat is as well.
I am a big fan of getting off the boat first or close to it just because you never know what the vis is like till you watch other divers crash onto the reef or wreck. I wish I was kidding!:shakehead:

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

Here is my boat. It is 40 feet long and has plenty of room, both inside and out.
I operate it as a six pack. It is never overcrowded.

picBoat.jpg

As you have learned, there is a big difference among boats. Some people in this thread have given you suggestions for specific operators to use to avoid that problem. Here is a strategy you can use for all future trips in places you don't know. This is what I do whenever I am going to a place about with which I am unfamiliar.

Go to the regional forum for that area in ScubaBoard. If you do a search, you will find that several people will have asked for recommendations for operators. Read through some of them. You may find all you need. Be very careful in reading the recommendations--some people will heartily recommend an operator you might hate. If you don't find what you want, ask a new question yourself. Be very specific in what you are looking for in an operator.

Next, about your dive bag--get a mesh bag that will hold your gear and then wad up into a small bundle when it is empty. Carry it inside your luggage when you travel, and then transfer your gear to it when you dive.

Thanks Zaixon, I'll add them to the list.

CamG, I set my own rig up, but I'll try labeling the tanks next time I'm on the cattle boat...maybe colored tape...or a tag from yourbagtag.com

John, I think my bag can scrunch up almost flat side to side, I'll try that next time. If not, I'll consider getting a bundle-able full mesh.

John, I think my bag can scrunch up almost flat side to side, I'll try that next time. If not, I'll consider getting a bundle-able full mesh.

That isn't enough--seriously.

On many boats you will need to be able to wad it up and shove it into some sopping wet recess somewhere.

I've been on packed boats, and I've been on boats where the only other diver was my buddy.... I've also been on boats with a bunch of divers and a bunch of snorkelers...

Hard to gauge, but not always :idk:

I was on a boat once with a bunch of divers ... and three guys who were fishing off the boat while we were diving.

That was one of those "I'll never do that again" experiences ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hey DaMaDo:

I find most of the boats that I go out on pretty crowded. Up here, it can slow down a little as the season get a little colder, but in your area, I guess it's just about year round.

The posts gave you some good ideas. Mark your tanks, try to keep your gear all in one spot, etc. I try to get to the boat as early as possible, get my rig set up for my first dive at the dock. Most of us do, since rough water can be the norm. As soon as I come up from my first dive, I set my rig up for the second dive right away, so I can have everything ready.

On the first dive, as soon as I see the mates on the boat start to gear up, I'm normally suiting up just when they do. Once they set the hook (we are wreck diving up here, no coral reefs really from NY to NC), I've got my tanks on and doing my final checks. After a captain's brief, and the pool is open, I'm in.

Safe diving to you.

In my experience, no matter what boat you go out on (6 pack or cattle boat) if it's full, it will be tight on space. Part of learning to boat dive well is learning to be efficient with your gear and optimize how you get it on and off the boat. The tip to bring your rig on fully assembled is a good one -- not only does it minimize trips back and forth, but it's one bit of assembly you don't have to do between two other people's shoulders :) Labeling EVERYTHING you take on a dive boat is a very good idea -- tape on the tanks, and permanent markers or tags on everything else. It's not unusual to have people with very similar equipment on the same boat.

As you gain facility with your gear, you'll find the very same circumstances are a bit less chaotic and less stressful. That said, I do prefer smaller boats, but mostly because that means fewer people IN the water.

No it is not always like that.

Since you are in Miami try some of the operators around Key Largo. Quiescence and Silent World are both great, as is Conch Republic in Tavinier. Last time I was out with Quiescence they took just two of us out on a six pack. Lots of good diving in your area, good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom