are combination octo/power inflators BS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had one for many years, first a Sherwood that was like a regular second stage located in the middle of the low pressure inflator hose and later the AirII. I never had a problem with either. They always breathed fine. I twice had out of air situations at 90' to 100' where individuals I wasn't diving with came flying up to me ooa. In each case, the octoinflators did their job and we surfaced successfully without any problems.

Having said that I wouldn't use one today. First, getting rid of a hose is not that big of a deal. The extra hose weighs nothing and creates no real drag. On the other hand, I don't like combining two critical pieces of equipment. One breaks and they're both broken, i.e., the inflator sticks, I have to disconnect my secondary to avoid an uncontrolled ascent, or if my secondary freeflows, I have to lose my inflator.

Beyond this, the hose lengths make real out of air situations difficult. When using the AirII, I could barely turn my head 90 degrees. More important, I was using a standard length hose on my primary, so I was practically hugging the out of air diver on the ascent. Forget a horizontal ascent where I might actually be able to get out the way of trouble and control the situation. Fine and good only if conditions remained benign.

Like many others, I've moved to a long hose and a bungeed backup. I did this even before I decided to take DIR-F and follow that route. It just made sense. I've got a nice long hose to share air and control the situation. My backup is right there. I don't have any huge loops of hose dangling and snagging--which is what most people are really trying to lose by using the AirII. As I said, it just makes sense. Give it a try. An AirII won't kill you. It will probably work fine most if not all of the time. But it's not an ideal solution. Why settle?

Firefyter:
I have used an AIR2 for years, without any problems whatsoever. Reefguy is right though, you're gonna get a lot of "opinions" like jhelmuth's, and almost exclusively from guys who have never used them. Try it for yourself, then make the call. Jhelmuth, as for not diving with guys who use a rig like that, all I can say it's your loss. A lot of experienced divers, myself included, like them, and you never know what you could be learning from them. This prejudice, like so many others, stems mostly from ignorance of the subject, and fear of the unknown.

Hey man, I'm sorry you feel that way. I stated that I do not have real experience with them and that I drew my conclusions from "dry land" testing (remember that I originally thought I did want this type of second safety!) and consulting with my buddy (wife - OW certified since 1972). I do not consider it a loss (diving with you, or others who are equiped that way), as I will have a buddy with a rig that I feel comfortable with. I'm not against you choosing it - it's just not for me and I don't like the risks once I have considerd them. My prejudice comes from my assesment as it relates to my diving. Prejudice is not a bad thing if it is formed from an unbiased assesment based on relevant information and conclusions (not like the racial "tone" we would normal associate the term with).

I wish you the best and hold no harm or grievance toward you.

Happy diving and best wishes.

Jim

reubencahn:
Like many others, I've moved to a long hose and a bungeed backup. I did this even before I decided to take DIR-F and follow that route. It just made sense. I've got a nice long hose to share air and control the situation. My backup is right there. I don't have any huge loops of hose dangling and snagging--which is what most people are really trying to lose by using the AirII. As I said, it just makes sense. Give it a try. An AirII won't kill you. It will probably work fine most if not all of the time. But it's not an ideal solution. Why settle?
yes ... the way to go. think about your goal ... the best way to handle an out of gas situation under a stressful condition. Since that is what you are preparing for, then this is the way to go. take it from an old AIR 2 advocate ... diving safety has progressed past it or a short octo.

As back then you could not count on any given diver having an octo.
My first gear set up had no octo and no power inflator for my horsecollar BC.
Universal use of the octo was an advance.
Universal use of power inflators on BCs is an advance.

In open water being close to your buddy during an OOG is not really a problem and may be an advantage as they may be easier to control. That said, I have gone to the 7' hose on my primary second stage and my backup on a bungie arround my neck. This streamlines as well as using an Air2 or similar and is more versatile.

I've used an Air2, both diving recreationally and when assisting with classes - gives students a chance to see other configurations. I agree with most of the disadvantages of an Air2 already listed. I especially disliked the idea of having to give away my primary with that short hose on it. I remedied this by putting a 39"-48" hose and swivel on the primary 2nd stage (here come the DIR blasts...) and then routed the hose under my arm similar to the Sherwood Maximus configuration. I like this because if allowed less constricted movements when sharing air.

With all that being said, it should be noted that I am currently contemplating switching to a DIR style regulator routing.

funkyspelunker:
why couldn't you bring the SS1 to exotic locatins? Actually I don't plan on diving around here at all, i will mostly be overseas diving

It's not that I couldn't, but that I would prefer not to be some place far from home with a regulator that could not be serviced locally. I checked Atomic's website for instance and they do not have a dealer in Bonaire. It would be my luck that it would fail when I am farthest from a service and parts source.

I almost always dive with a Pony bottle, so having a SQ AirSource is a good solution for me. I really don't like having three 2 stages regs. This configuration removes any possible confusion about which reg is for the Pony, and which is the secondary.

Dave

cool thread. lots of good info.

I had an Air2. Worked fine. Felt awkward during OOA drills, but I thought it was ok for rec divers.

The kind of diving that I did changed and I'm now in a bp/wing & a long hose.

Was on a CAVERN dive three weeks ago with an OW diver who had a version of Air2. Apparently it was leaking so he disconnected the LP hose and was inflating his BCD manually... in a CAVERN... 50ft down, 70 ft from the surface. If his buddy had an OOA at 50ft, his primary was the only air he could have donated.

Now I'm not so sure that Air2's are a good idea for rec divers.

I think that several of you have made exceptionally good arguments for not using the Air2 or any integrated safe-second. Those arguments that center around combining two peices of critical equipment, followed up by the cavern example are especially fitting.

Back
Top Bottom