are combination octo/power inflators BS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that you will find that most people either love it or hate it. So I think that you should definetely get your hands on one before you buy. Regs you can kinda take someone's word for. These things you have to get used to. The weight, where to go in OOA, and telling your buddy about it as they may not be familiar with them. In my opinion, I would say that if you go for something low profile like an Oceanic swivel or the like, they will not even seem like they are there.

Hmmmm....I've heard so much negative hype on the SS1 that i'm starting to think otherwise of going with the combo system. But shouldn't it be fine if I practice with it and am used to it? Why does it matter if my buddy doesn't like it/is unfamiliar with it, since I will be the one using it? Also, can you guys suggest a good octo to compliment a Scubapro reg with MK25/S600 setup? I will try the SS1 in a pool and make up my mind, but I'd like to have an idea of what octo to buy if i don't like the Atomic.

funkyspelunker:
...I will try the SS1 in a pool and make up my mind...
If you want to make a fair assessment of whether you'll like it or not, you should try it in the open water. With a buddy breathing from your primary. Do an ascent that way - but only if you are comfortable you can control that ascent. If you and your buddy find you are not comfortable executing a controlled ascent while using this equipment (assuming you can do it individually) - consider why that is and what would make it more managable....

Like I said in the beginning, I liked mine. It breathed just fine at every depth I tested (down to 115'), and I used it on every safety stop. I practiced my OOG drills with it (in fact, I used it in my certification class) without problems. I always knew exactly where my secondary was (not that I don't now :)), and could recover switch regs instantly without looking with either hand (it also may help that I'm left handed, so reaching for the airsource on my left was more natural for me).

funkyspelunker:
I'm buying a first-time setup, and i'm thinking of getting the Atomic SS1 combination power inflator / octopus, thus losing an additional hose. What do you jedi-divers out there think about this? Are those combos a gimmick, a danger, or a convenient way to stremline your gear?

I have used the SeaQuest Air source for years. I also always dive with a pony/deco bottle. If a buddy has an OOA situation they are going to grab your reg right out of your mouth unless you see them coming and can hand them a reg. The Air2 would be used only by you. It is always right there on your left shoulder and I have found they breath quite well.

Now for my caveat, I have noticed that this piece of gear fails more than anything else. What I mean by failure is leaking air or cracked components. These problems have not been with the regulator portion of the reg. I think the problems I have had would be the case with a standard inflator system as well. I have always used the Air Source except for my first 10 dives with rental gear.

I will continue to use my Air Source until I observe a pattern of failure with the regulator portion.

--Matt

I used this setup with my last BC and regulator and never had an issue with it. I was considering going with the SS1 and a SP Mk25/S600. Ultimately I decided to go with an S550 as an octo instead of the SS1. My main concerns were parts availability for the SS1 and the ability to extend the hose. If I were only doing rec diving and not planning to travel to exotic locations I would give the SS1 serious consideration.

Doh, where were you guys when I bought mine? Guess I should have found this board sooner. Well, I have the zeagle Octo+ and will be trying it out for now, cause it's paid for. If I don't like it, it'll go on ebay and I'll buy a traditional octo.

Back
Top Bottom