Are bigger Jets (XL) better for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have size 10 EEE feet and wear a 9 or 10 wet suit boot depending on the boot.

I wore XL Jetfins (before switching to Mare Plana avanti's) and found they fit very well with wet suit boots.

However, with dry suit boots the pockets were a little narrow and my feet had a tendency to cramp on long cold dives. Nothing worse than enduring a deco stop with cramped feet. (the main reason I went to XL sized Mares fins.)

To benefit from the extra blade lenght of the XL Jet fin, you really need to have the legs for it and for most folks it probably won't make much difference.

I tried out the Large and X-Large Jet fins and I am definitely going with the XL.

I wear sneakers size 9.5 and wet booties size 8 ( 5 or 7ml thickness ).

When I tried the Large fins, the pocket only fits half my foot.

When I tried the X-Large fins, the pocket fits my foot and up to the ankle. It is only slightly loose but it is tight after strapping.

For those interested in Jet fins, here are some info for you:
- The difference in blade size between X-Large and Large is quite considerable.

- The Jet fins blades are wider than other fins.

- They are made of black and stiff ( still flexes) rubber.

- There are tiny and big pass-through holes on the blades to reduce turbulence on the other side

I love those Jet fins. If I ever lose another fin, I will definitely buy the Jets again. I am planning to replace the straps with Halycon spring-straps later.

Thanks to all the folks that assisted me with the size.

Gonna try them out this weekend.

Some jet fins have a wide foot pocket suitable for dry suit users others have a narrow foot pocket more suitable for wet suit divers with booties. Buechat and Sub Aqua products are among the brands I know who make a narrow foot pocket jetfin. The fin is short and broad. Some people are not very complimentry about them, their not as fast on the straight. I find them better for turning and prefer the heavier weight of rubber for balance trim. I also think short fins are better if your going to be in the water for many hours. Maybe its because I learnt to dive with jets and although I have since tried Mares and Force fins I prefer jets.

I just tried out XL's in the pool last night after having dived with L's for some time. The pocket is both deeper and wider and I felt the fins shifting back and forth on my wet suit boots (size 10) enough that it was noticable.

I'm going to play with it it a bit more and might try to find new boots that fit it better so I can take advantage of the larger fin area, but if I can't get rid of the wobble I might go back to L's.

Is there a specific boot that might work best?

David

Walter once bubbled...
The larger fin area doesn't seem (subjective I know) to make any difference in my diving.

Has anyone else gone from L to XL and noticed a difference? Or the opposite for that matter? I'm trying it based on a suggestion it might help my backward's kick to have more fin area. On first blush I felt as though I don't have the same control, though my time was limited to 15-20min in the pool.

David

I've used the L for 20 years, recently started using the XL (L wouldn't fit the dry suit) and figured I'd stay with them long enought to be sure.

I just bought a pair of XLs after about four months in the Ls. I wear a 11 1/2 shoe and size 10 bootie. The large cut into the top of my foot pretty bad and my whole heel stuck out the back so I had to switch (girlfriend now has nice pair of Large jets though). I haven't dove with the XLs yet and I plan on getting one of the molded sole Oceanic 5mm booties for them ASAP. I think with a 9ish foot you'll end up liking the larges if you get a reg. bootie and X larges if you get a big soled bootie though. I'll report back if I can find this thread after this weekend.

John.

I wear wet booties, big sole, size 9 with either 5 or 7ml. The XL fins fit very nicely - 3/4 of my foot slips into the pocket. It is a little wobbly but after strapping it is very tight.

The Large fins pocket is a little too small and tight for me. The pocket fit less than half my foot.

Before the Jets, I was using the Slingshot. It was a flexible fin and finning was a little easier. The Jets were a little rigid and may require more leg muscles to propel it.

I bought a pair of soled boots over the weekend and found that they fit the XL foot pocket nicely. The L size worked well for my soleless boots, but the new boots wouldn't fit into the pocket. That answers the question of whether to stick with the XL or not.

The extra bite of the longer blade gives makes my reverse kick much more effiencient so I'm happy to have found boots that keep my feet from sliding around.

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom