Aquaworld Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

speedjunkie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Everybody,

I'm going to Cozumel at the end of September and staying at the Cozumel Palace. I was there 3 years ago and had a great time with Aqua Safari. Since I have a "resort credit" that I need to use up, I'm considering going on a few dives with the onsite dive shop - Aquaworld. Any opinions on this operator? Thanks.

Ed

Last edited:
There are MUCH better dive operators in Cozumel. I spent one dive with them and that was enough to scratch them from the list forever........

I would use the resort credit on massages or something else. I have never used Aqua World at the Palace, but have at Park Royal. They are very expensive and always had very crowded boats. They always seem to have more Cruise Ship divers than not. We never got to dive any of the dive sites further south than Santa Rosa. The dives were always short, made everyone surface as soon as first diver to reach 700 psi. I also had to pay to get tanks to do shore dives, other dive ops give free tanks for shore dives.

Sounds like Aquaworld is a bad choice. I plan on using as much of the resort credit on massages, but I think there's $300 maximum for spa services. I've taken a lot of the tours already so there's not much to spend on those. I have $1,500 of resort credit that I need to use up. I would like to find a good dive operator that can pick us up at the dock behind the hotel. I don't really want to be rushing to another location each morning. Does anybody have any suggestions on which dive operator would be a good choice? Just want to get some other ideas on who to contact. Thanks a lot.

I have just finished a week of diving with Living Underwater, who I have dived with for many years. The sites ranged from Maracaibo at the far southern part of the island to Barracuda in the north. (we were blessed with good divers throughout the week). My shortest dive was about one hour and it was deep with no shallow reef around to extend it (barracuda). Most of my dives were in the 70+minute range. Longest was 90 minutes as it was the established max, regardless of air reserves. Surface intervals are about 2 hours, give or take. Not a huge issue for me as I always use nitrox on my 2nd tank but the long dive times could be an issue, restricting dive times, for those who are on air.

I think that it is useful to gather opinions of others on the board but it is well that you have indicated you will be personally contacting those ops in which you have an interest. Besides asking if they pick up at your hotel, ask:
1. Do they allow you to dive your air?
2. Do they lead profiles that will allow you to maximize your No deco time limits?
3. Are there any restrictions on locations they take you to for their basic price?
4. What is their boat like? (I prefer two engines, for starters...redundency and all that)
5. Can t hey tell you which DM you may be diving with and what their special skills are? How long have they been DM in Cozumel? (not elsewhere as you want someone who not only knows the reef but also current, weather conditions etc etc)

That is just me though. Some people like DMs that make jokes, others like them businesslike. Some want to be hand held and others do not. Some want a long beach SI with fruit and other nummy treats and others do not. Some want the greater air and different buoyancy characteristics of steel tanks and others have no need or interest. So those are things you need to seek out. Seldom do trip reports, much less individual replies to questions such as yours go into that level of detail. What things are important to you?

In my opinion, it doesn't matter how large the 'resort credit' is, find an operator who deliveries what you want because it's your vacation. I've been on a cattle boat and ever since, I choose operations with smaller boats when I'm in Cozumel. The cattle boat experience was very poor.

There are many choices on Cozumel running smaller boats and a lot will pick up at the Palace pier. Search the board and you should find many to choose from. Some to look at, in no order, are Aldora, Living Underwater, Bottom Time Divers, DWM, Liquid Blue Divers or Blue xtsea.

Thanks for the info everybody. I'm certainly not going to choose a bad operator even if it's "free" or included in the deal, as the bad experience is just a waste of time for everyone involved and will overshadow any good memories of the trip. I'm looking to dive with a small group with a DM that can show me new experiences. I'm not a newbie diver, but I'm definitely not an advanced diver either. A DM with a easy going, safety conscious mindset is ideal. Not looking for an underwater DM nazi. Particularly interested in seeing as much marine life as possible as I plan on shooting video on this trip. Thanks.

I stay at the Palace frequently and have used AquaWorld for "free credit" dives on occasion. My input:
- NO NITROX availability. This is a huge downside given the depths in Cozumel
- On average, the divers tend to be less experienced.
- Big, slow boats with 20+ divers. But despite the size, not all of their boats have a head on board.
- Very good dive masters and dive briefings.
- You will waste at least 30 minutes stopping at the Park Royal while they shuffle snorklers and divers around to different boats.

My favorite uses for resort credits are the Dolphin experience, Lobster dinner, Chef's dinner on the beach, and spa

Hi,

We've stayed at the Palace and used the credit for one day of "free" diving. Aquaworld is a large operation and runs a large boat with lots of divers. Our group had about 10 OW divers and about 10 discover scuba folks. Not a bad experience if you know what you're in for.

The other posts Give you a pretty good idea what to expect. For us here were the +/-

Cons:
Large (slowish) boat, though my wife appreciated the head

Not much choice on destination although we were asked and since only my wife and I had an opinion we got to go where we asked.

Scheduled dives - they used dive tables to justify short dives, we had lots of air and time on our computers available but when time was up, up we went. This was by far the biggest drawback for us.

Pros:
Decent service

Pick up at Palace dock

FREE! (Sort of)

Probably would do it again since we were in your shoes with no where else to spend the credit and we are penny pinchers. The Palace is excellent but we switched to a cheaper place to $ave money so we could go back again. ScubaTony was excellent for us and Blue Angel was pretty good for us last year and definitely saved a few pesos.

Can't go too wrong in Cozumel!

Enjoy!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom