Aquarena Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrotheaddiver:
The springs maintain a temp between 68-72 degrees. I dove in the river in a 3/2ml last spring and was warm but up in the springs where it is deeper I would think a 5ml would feel mo better.

Funny, whenever I go there it's WARMER down by the springs! I always find the surface waters are chillier, but then again I don't go there much in the summer months.

in our class last Feb were diving with drysuits...I did the skills test in a 3mm two-piece and the other dives in a TLS350.

I was thinking about getting a 3mm shorty and wearing it over my 1mm jumpsuit.
This would give me the equivalent of 4/1. Has anybody tried this? I've not spent any time in water below 75°F, so I'm not sure how to figure out what I would need.

I want to try diving at Aquarena since Lake Travis is boring and muddy right now. I remember going there when I was a kid and seeing the mermaids.

android:
This would give me the equivalent of 4/1. Has anybody tried this? I've not spent any time in water below 75°F, so I'm not sure how to figure out what I would need.

I want to try diving at Aquarena since Lake Travis is boring and muddy right now. I remember going there when I was a kid and seeing the mermaids.

I've done something like this... wearing a 6.5mm Farmer John Top (a lot like a shorty, but with long sleeves and shorter leg cuffs), and a 1.5mm heavy skin.

Froze my butt off after 30 minutes. Or more appropriately, my legs froze.

If you're going to be diving for protracted periods in Spring Lake, I recommend at least 3mm coverage on your whole body. Most folks I've seen there dive with 5mm fulls and a hood/vest combo; I dive with a 2.5mm Farmer John under a 2.mm top, and a 3mm beanie. Some people even wear drysuits.

When I did the course in Dec. 2002, I wore a 5mm, simply because it was December and the air temps were in the 30s.

Jay_SMART_Diver:
I took the class on Nov 20-21 wore two peice 3mm and was fine

How was the class and experience,,,,its nice you living in the backyard....that is a neat deal for you.

Jay_SMART_Diver:
I took the class on Nov 20-21 wore two peice 3mm and was fine
That's 6mm aggregate. You're wearing MORE exposure protection than me, ha ha!

android:

For a single 1-hour dive in the summer I wear my 3/2 shorty or the same over my 1mm full-suit. When I go to multiple dives - and ESPECIALLY during the winter - it's my 5mm fullsuit

Of course, it all depends on you and your cold tolerance, etc.. I've seen hardy souls dive a 3/2 next to me - and I've dived with folks in drysuits [Of course, if I owned one....]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom