Aquarena Progress

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blog entry dated 1/27/2012: Boom Installed for Sub Removal

Habitat Restoration Progress : Aquarena Center : Texas State University

The plans are to lift the subs out in one piece with cranes and dismantle it on the peninsula. I'm guessing here but I don't think it will lift out in one piece unless they make holes for the water to drain as its being lifted.

Are any of you locals going to be there when the sub is removed? Hopefully with cameras :)

I expect the water in that sub to be so nasty that they will pump it as dry as possible and treat said water as hazardous waste.

I had to be in SM on Monday and dropped by for a look. The peninsula has essentially been stripped of all the buildings and the debris removed. Skyride towers were still there but that was pretty much all that was left. Boat dock, exit ramp from TA and ramp to the floating dock were still there. The new visitor center isn't open yet.

I expect the water in that sub to be so nasty that they will pump it as dry as possible and treat said water as hazardous waste.

I've heard the sub leaks. If they pump the water out, do you think it will stay dry before they actually lift it out? That's going to be some funky water for sure.

Also, are there plans for stairs for volunteer divers? I've had a few friends do serious face plants on the steep incline when exiting spring lake. We really need stairs.

I've heard the sub leaks. If they pump the water out, do you think it will stay dry before they actually lift it out? That's going to be some funky water for sure.

Also, are there plans for stairs for volunteer divers? I've had a few friends do serious face plants on the steep incline when exiting spring lake. We really need stairs.

Don't know of any plans to build stairs.

Im so glad that I got to dive Aquarena before all of these changes. Any idea when It'll be open again for the Diving for Science program?

I was told May at a local shop....but I'm seriously starting to doubt that now. :)

Just checked the Aquarena page. If you want to see them lift the subs seems that tomorrow is the last day.

The Training Area will seem a lot smaller without the big sub and it will be harder to keep unauthorized divers out of Diversion.

Had a nice talk with Ron Coley this afternoon. First, they haven't even started rigging the cables for a lift.

Second, they have pumped the theater portion of the sub dry (the water wasn't nearly as bad as expected).

Third, Ron is being told early June for a completion date. He doesn't put that much faith in the date.

Fourth, they will not be removing the pipe from Diversion. It is an official collection site for the blind salamander by USFWS.

Fifth, Fish may decide to let the Training Area return to a more natural state. If that is the case, no more OW classes at Aquarena.

Sixth, they still haven't decided on the best barrier to keep student divers in the training area and away from Diversion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom