Aquarena Progress

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as I know, we are still golden. They still need divers to clean areas for the boats and they get us for free.

As far as I know, we are still golden. They still need divers to clean areas for the boats and they get us for free.

What about those of us who have yet to take the required class to participate in the program? I was planning to go just before they closed for renovation last year, but life got in the way. :)

I hope they will continue to Diving for Science certification program!

Safe dives,

Cyp

Last edited:
In my opinion, the staff would be very foolish to discontinue the DFS program and the use of the Training Area for classes.

First to fifth reason, it does generate a lot of money, advances their goal of increased awareness of the site, they get volunteer hours for grants (at the rate of $25 a hour) that count as "local involvement", they get "free" work from the volunteers and we are the coolest things the people in the boats see.

I am confident that Ron wants the Training Area open for classes and the DFS program to continue. The final decision on the lake's management plan is with the USFWS.

In my opinion, the staff would be very foolish to discontinue the DFS program and the use of the Training Area for classes.

First to fifth reason, it does generate a lot of money, advances their goal of increased awareness of the site, they get volunteer hours for grants (at the rate of $25 a hour) that count as "local involvement", they get "free" work from the volunteers and we are the coolest things the people in the boats see.

I am confident that Ron wants the Training Area open for classes and the DFS program to continue. The final decision on the lake's management plan is with the USFWS.

Thanks for the reply. I'll make sure I send an email or two their way about continuing the program. :)

Thanks for the reply. I'll make sure I send an email or two their way about continuing the program. :)

Definitely do that, I'll do the same. Aquarena is one of the coolest inland dive spots Texas has to offer and it would be a shame for the dive community to lose access to it.

I'm gonna miss the the transition from the training area, under the sub then into Diversion. There was always so much life just as you emerged into the springs.

Hope this isn't too much of a threadjack but...

Has anyone here actually used Aquarena for the OW portion of a class they've conducted? I actually just sent a couple emails this week to see if this was still going to be an option after the rehab was complete and haven't herad anything back. I'm have a couple folks who are interested in both AOW and OW this summer who i'd really like to get out there for a few dives. Can anyone comment on the how this used to work prior to the rehab?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom