Aqualung technisub micro vs mares Liquidskin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

compton384

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was just wondering if anyone has tried both of these masks and which they prefer? I was looking at a thread about perfect gear- the things you would definitely replace with the same item if something happened and these two masks seemed to come up frequently.

The thing about masks is that everyone's face is different. What works for me might be miserable for you. I've owned a lot of masks and my personal favorite is Halcyon's dual lens. If you're interested in those two masks I would suggest you find a dealer near you and go see how they feel.

Try both of them on and decide which fits you better. Go with that one. Better yet, find a cheap mask that does the same and use the money you save on another piece of gear.

Well I'm about to go to Turks and Caicos.. and it's probably the only time I'll ever make it there, so I'd like to have the best mask- I'm not saying that there aren't some quality cheaper masks out there, but I really want something that's a sure thing. I know fit is important and obviously it depends on your face- I think I have a pretty average typical shaped face where most masks have fit without a problem, so I was just looking for something that will enhance by experience with either comfort (I read that the Mares mask is more comfortable than many because of the silicone formula they use) or visualization (which I've read good things with the Aqualung about). So, I guess I was asking if they both fit fine, which is the best?

I love the micro. I'm currently replacing my micro with another.

I have a problem finding small low profile masks. This fits wonderfully so I am going with the sure thing.

A mask is a mask, none of them actually let you see "better" than others (assuming proper fit) unless they are low volume, from what I can tell. Even the low volume improvement is debatable.

As long as the glass is tempered, it can be a $5 mask or a $105 mask and you'll see the same things and have the same safety. I don't know what else "visualization" means but if it means it has some sort of filter in the mask lens, skip it. The filters and other "enhancements" are gimmicks that don't do anything, scientifically speaking.

Comfort is strictly subjective, so I'd say go with the one you feel most comfortable in, if price isn't a factor. (Even if price is a factor, for that matter.)

The price of a mask isn't necessarily a good metric of quality. I like some designs that fit my face quite well but have been in production for a number of years. The manufacture has long since recouped their costs from the design and the casting molds, hence a less expensive. Whatever mask you pick, if it fits well, you could easily dive it for decade or more.

BTW, I am envious of your trip to T&C.

Well I'm about to go to Turks and Caicos.. and it's probably the only time I'll ever make it there, so I'd like to have the best mask- I'm not saying that there aren't some quality cheaper masks out there, but I really want something that's a sure thing. I know fit is important and obviously it depends on your face- I think I have a pretty average typical shaped face where most masks have fit without a problem, so I was just looking for something that will enhance by experience with either comfort (I read that the Mares mask is more comfortable than many because of the silicone formula they use) or visualization (which I've read good things with the Aqualung about). So, I guess I was asking if they both fit fine, which is the best?

There is really no difference between them. They are both good masks that will do what you want, so long as they fit ok.

Back
Top Bottom